Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

APs and Switches: One switch or more

My company has a number of large sites with numerous wiring cabinets and, often multiple switches in a stack configuration.
During a recent equipment refresh discussion  the question came up as to whether to place all AP connections on one switch or to distribute them across multiple switches already in the stack.  . We have some folks who believe that having all AP's connect to a separate switch in each cabinet will simplify and speed up troubleshooting but the cost of 500 or so additional switches seems to be financially unsound.
I've been looking for a best-practice to provide guidance to our team but I haven't seen anything specific in the Cisco Design Guides.  Can someone point me to a published recommendation?

5 Replies 5

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

AP need PoE, so Distribute your AP in different component of the Switch will be good in terms of PoE and also redundancy - in case one of the stack member go down, other can still be able to serve the purpose still.

personally i do this. (this is exmapl only - your case may be different)

in the floor you have 4 AP

1        2          3            4

1 and 3 in - switch1 in stack

2 and 4   in switch 2 in stack , this will cover whole floor

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Yep, most of the engineers I know agree with your approach (as do I). Having said that, I'm looking for a published best practice to reinforce our argument.
Thanks for your help

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I do not believe you find this in CVD, the CVD only show you best practice, Power requirement, placing AP is whole business choice.

but i do agree and wait we get any document reference (happy learning myself)-  if you looking some stamp from cisco.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
I don’t agree with that, meaning that aps need to have their own switch. Allocating port blocks like 38-48 or something is way better than having to manage another switch just for wireless. I’ve only seen that type of design when there was a separate team for wireless and for wired and the teams wanted separation for accountability.
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

That kind of thinking is "old school".  

There is one important reason why we stopped entertaining this sort of thinking:  PoE allowance. 

We "distribute" the APs to different members of the stack so PoE allowance does not all get used up in one switch member.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card