cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

APs broadcasting SSIDs without manual WLC provisionning (using DNS resolution to find WLC) ?

John Doe
Level 1
Level 1

Hello community,

I am using DNS name resolution to make APs discovering there WLC for the first time.

Could I make APs broadcasting SSIDs without any manual configuration on the WLC (AP provisionning) ?

If yes, is it possible to just autorise APs to broadcast it using their serial number or MAC address for example ?

Thanks.

Regards,

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Sandeep Choudhary
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I didn't understand the complete question but will try to put my point:

1. If these are CAP(Controller Based AP) , then you need to add to WLC to have wireless access  - I think you already did or ?

2. Once AP joins to WLC, they boradcast the all WLAN (id 1 to 16)created on WLC.

*** There is not automatic process on CAPs, you need to create SSIDs on WLC to broadcast via AP.

AP will not broadcast anything if they are not joined to WLC.

I missed something or do you have any other question ?

Regards

Don't forget to rate helpful posts

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Sandeep Choudhary
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I didn't understand the complete question but will try to put my point:

1. If these are CAP(Controller Based AP) , then you need to add to WLC to have wireless access  - I think you already did or ?

2. Once AP joins to WLC, they boradcast the all WLAN (id 1 to 16)created on WLC.

*** There is not automatic process on CAPs, you need to create SSIDs on WLC to broadcast via AP.

AP will not broadcast anything if they are not joined to WLC.

I missed something or do you have any other question ?

Regards

Hello Sandeep,

In fact, I have new AP to deploy to complete the coverage on site. So the new APs I want to deploy need to discover their WLC to join it.

I want to use DNS discovering to make APs joining the WLC. In this case, they automatically join WLC without any manual provisionning.

My question was, if APs can broadcast SSIDs with zero provisionning.

So your answer is, as they join default AP group, they broadcast the first 16 SSIDs, because we have 4 SSID configured actually.

Thnaks for your reply.

Regards,

Exactly.

First AP need to join WLC. There is no need for AP provisioning.

Once AP will join to WLC in Default AP group, they will broadcast all SSIDs(1-16).

Regards

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card