cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

AT&T 3G microcell setup

biconix
Level 1
Level 1

I purchased a second hand AT&T CISCO 3G MicroCell DPH153-AT Wireless Cell Phone Signal Booster

The previous owner assures me that it works

I was able to activate it online at the ATT web site.

However, when i plug it into the Ethernet switch, the network icon on the front panel flashes for about 15 seconds every once in a while. however, the communication lights on the switch do not light. i have tried different switches and changed cables, including straight through and cross overs. I also called ATT and they were not able to help except to go through the online activation again.

Is there something i need to do differently or does the unit not work?

2 Replies 2

pieterh
VIP
VIP

my suggestion is the microcell tries to get an ip-address from DHCP but this times-out.

first check DHCP server at your local lan/router/modem 

second: the ethernet port auto negotiation may take too long for the microcell

which results in the DHCP timeout before (!) the port-auto negotiation has succeeded

to speed up (disable) negotiation experiment with settings 

depending on connected switchtype you may need to configure port-settings as

- switchport mode access

- spanning-tree portfast

you may also need to configure fixed speed/duplex like 

- speed [100| 1000| a-100, a-1000] 

- duplex [full | half]

Thanks for your reply

The DHCP is fine, other devices and computers attached to the switch have no trouble getting assigned an IP address

I have no control over the settings of the switch or DHCP server as they are under control of the IT department. But i doubt that is the culprit as the lights on the two switches i tried do not blink when the cable is connected. it seems that the yellow Ethernet port on the microcell does not work. 

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card