Views
Helpful
Replies

Autonomous and Lightweight APs in the same network

fabiogarcia
Level 1
Level 1

Dears,

We are implementing WLC in out Company, but for some reason, (before I come work here) they did a wireless design with only onw WLC, in other words we have no HA for WLC here.

So we decided to use some part of APs as lightweight and other parts as autonomous (coz if WLC goes down for some reason, we wont be down).

I relized that some Laptops which is connected to an autonomous AP goes down when they go to a meeting room covered by an LWAP.

How can I avoid this situation ? I mean how to get fully connected at room covered by an autonomous and also room covered by the LWAP without goin down (usually users need to repair the connection, disabling/enabling network wireless card)

I am also would like to confirm if we would have only LWAP here and our WLC goes DOWN, these APs will would stop to work ?

Thanks in advance!!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Your AP's need to be in h-reap mode. That is the only way your wireless will work in case the WLC goes down. If the WLC goes down then any new 802.1x auth will fail. Take a look at the link as it explains what the function h-reap can do and what it can't. Like I said, to get what you want you will need another WLC. H-reap can help but with some limitations.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

That is a bad design... If you really want redundancy, then you need another WLC. The only thing you can do as a work around is have all AP's in lightweight and have them in h-reap/FlexConnect mode. To understand more about this mode, look at this link. What you have now, a mixed environment is really a poor design.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps10315/products_tech_note09186a0080736123.shtml

-Scott

Hi Scott

Totally agree with you.. poor design...

But HREAP / FlexConnect is designed for remote offices right ? Can I use that feature for my local APs ?

Also the authetication method used in our Company is 802.1x, so, if the WLC goes down how that users would be authenticated ? Do I need an alternative authentication for this scenario?

Thanks!

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Your AP's need to be in h-reap mode. That is the only way your wireless will work in case the WLC goes down. If the WLC goes down then any new 802.1x auth will fail. Take a look at the link as it explains what the function h-reap can do and what it can't. Like I said, to get what you want you will need another WLC. H-reap can help but with some limitations.

-Scott

thank you very much for all help.

we decided to keep one WLC ( very expensive in my Country) renew the smartnet, and migrate all APs to LAP and buy 5 APs (autonomous as a cold backup).

It wll be much more cheaper

thanks!!

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card