Views
Helpful
Replies

Backup image on WLC showing 0.0.0.0

gswanwifi
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

Recently I upgraded my WLC 8510 , after upgrading some of the AP has new image as Primary image and old image as backup image. But some AP are having backup image as 0.0.0.0

Is it normal?

6 Replies 6

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
I have seen that happen. It’s okay as you can pre-download the image again from the WLC. Instead of pre-downloading the primary, you download the secondary image.
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Hi Scott,

I opened a TAC case , engineer said it may have some memory problem (less memory) so ap has not downloaded backup image during pre-download . Still want me to go ahead and download backup image ?

The backup image is really only if you plan on reverting back. This allows for less downtime. You really don’t need to have the backup image there if you don’t plan on going back to that version. If TAC mentioned lack of memory, did they log into one of the AP’s to actually see if there was insufficient memory? You can always try to download the backup image to one or a few AP’s to actually see if it takes again. This would mean that there is enough memory available and there was another reason why during the upgrade the image disappeared.
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@gswanwifi wrote:

But some AP are having backup image as 0.0.0.0

Is the controller running 8.5.X.X firmware?

We are running 8.2.X.X firmware. 

Seen that too. Doesn't matter based on my experience, the AP will simply load it's current if in lightweight mode. It never needs/uses the backup image, unless you are doing a software upgrade on the WLC, in which case, if you pre-load the AP image, the active will be pushed into the backup partition and the pre-loaded to the active partition (or something like this). Anyway, on the AP it's not really needed.
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card