cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Based on what the power level of AP change automatically

Leftz
Level 4
Level 4

Hi When AP is at global mode under Tx Power Level Assignment, its power level can change automatically. Anyone can explain based on what the power level of AP change? In other words, what can cause the power level change? Thanks

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Haydn Andrews
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

The AP will change its power based on a few things:

Limits to the upper and lower TX power (configured in the WLC/ Regulatory Domain rules)

It will then use TPC to find the right TX power level:

TPC uses the TX neighbor and RF Neighbor lists generated by the NDP process. RSSI organized lists built on how we hear other AP's (RX Neighbor) and how other AP's hear us (TX Neighbor), to form a picture of how every AP is heard by every other AP within the RF Neighborhood and RF Group. Based on this information TPC sets the transmit power of each AP to maximize the coverage and minimize co-channel interference. TPC will adjust the Tx power up or down to meet the required coverage level indicated by the TPC Threshold.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/technotes/8-1/mobility_express/b_RRM_White_Paper/b_RRM_White_Paper_chapter_0101.html 

I always recommend using RF Profiles rather than relying on the global settings, to have more control over RRM

*****Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"*****
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

Leftz
Level 4
Level 4

Thank you Haydn for your nice explanation and link. 

Now there are more than ten APs 3802I in a location. All the 2.4G power level for these APs are at 5. I am thinking if the power level change to 1, the interference would increase a lot. but if we keep the current power level, the signals are still weak. 

On the 5G, if we increase the power level, that would increase the interference. How do you think about? 

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Haydn Andrews
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

The AP will change its power based on a few things:

Limits to the upper and lower TX power (configured in the WLC/ Regulatory Domain rules)

It will then use TPC to find the right TX power level:

TPC uses the TX neighbor and RF Neighbor lists generated by the NDP process. RSSI organized lists built on how we hear other AP's (RX Neighbor) and how other AP's hear us (TX Neighbor), to form a picture of how every AP is heard by every other AP within the RF Neighborhood and RF Group. Based on this information TPC sets the transmit power of each AP to maximize the coverage and minimize co-channel interference. TPC will adjust the Tx power up or down to meet the required coverage level indicated by the TPC Threshold.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/technotes/8-1/mobility_express/b_RRM_White_Paper/b_RRM_White_Paper_chapter_0101.html 

I always recommend using RF Profiles rather than relying on the global settings, to have more control over RRM

*****Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"*****
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Leftz
Level 4
Level 4

Thank you Haydn for your nice explanation and link. 

Now there are more than ten APs 3802I in a location. All the 2.4G power level for these APs are at 5. I am thinking if the power level change to 1, the interference would increase a lot. but if we keep the current power level, the signals are still weak. 

On the 5G, if we increase the power level, that would increase the interference. How do you think about? 

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card