cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

BR352s and AP352s in RELAY (repeater) mode

w2jo
Level 1
Level 1

I have a network covering a fairly wide area. the central node is a BR352 with BR352s and AP352s and AP342s operating as repeaters. All have 12.04 firmware. Normally all "home" on the central BR352 node. "Occasionally" the (one) AP352 repeater unit decides to "relay thru" one of the AP342 repeaters. When this happens, the AP352 cannot pass data and the AP342 logs an error message saying the AP352 logged in as encripted and then tried to pass UNencrypted data. I have optioned all BRs and APs in the system as "encryption optional" and other pairs have on rare occasion used the "repeat through a repeater mode" without a problem.

Does anyone know what setting i might me missing to cause this problem?

Thanks

Joe

2 Replies 2

thomas.chen
Level 6
Level 6

When the AP and Bridges operate in repeater mode, there should be 50% overlap in the coverage area. Check if this criteria is met. Also disable the optional encryption on the AP and Bridges. Check if it works after making these changes.

I am not sure what you mean precisely by repeaters should have a 50% coverage overlap. But if you mean that ideally, repeaters should not be able to hear each other, then that is desirable, but not always possible. In this case, both repeaters can marginally hear each other but can hear the root much better. While I have the root MAC input as the primary for repeat use, it is possible for repeater 2 to link through repeater 1 back to the root.

As far as I know, there is no way to absolutely prevent repeater 2 from occasionally homing on repeater 1. If I knew how to do this, I would.

Actually, I replaced repeater 1 and the problem has disappeared. I hope.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card