cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Bridge and AP, using a 1200 series bridge.

jbarger
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Folks,

I would like to bridge from an AP1131 to an AP1262 using the 5.8 ghz radios then allow access via the 2.4 ghz radio on the 1260.  I will use a directional antenna for the 1260 bridge to optimize performance.  The 5ghz radio will only be used for bridging. The ap 1131 is an AP right now but only offers access on 2.4 ghz.  There are only a few clients.

The 1130 will be sitting in a window with the ant5160 outdoor mounted and pointed at it from ~200 feet away.

Does anyone see an issue? Maybe suggest a better parts list.  I was originally thinking of using a 1310 as the bridge and a 1140 as the AP but that configuration is not as flexiable and the 1310 part is very old...  I understand I will not get N throughput since the 1130 is not N capable, it is already installed.  I need autonomous AP and can upgrade to 1140 in the future to improve performance.  

I plan to upgrade to WCS next year, does it support this type of configuration?  I am assuming that IOS does...

So here are the part numbers that I plan to use.

AIR-AP1262N-A-K9

AIR-AP1131AG-A-K9

Directional 5.8 ghz

AIR-ANT5160NP-R=

Omni 2.4 ghz

AIR-ANT2430V-R=

Thanks for any help,

Joe

1 Reply 1

Kayle Miller
Level 7
Level 7

Joe,

I am a little confused by your post but can offer some answers.

First of all I assume your intending to purt the external antennas on the 1262 not the 1130.

In terms of configuration you will need to configure 1 of the 802.11a radios in either the 1130 or the 1262 as a station role of root and the other in station role of non-root, that will enable them to connect to each other and bridge, then you can configure the 802.11b/g radios any way you choose and everythign should work as I think your intending,

over this distance you may get decent speeds. I'd be more inclined to use 1262's on each side with appropriate antennas; depending on what exactly your trying to accomplish on each side as far as coverage goes..

In terms of moving to WCS and lightweight mode it really doesn't support this configuration.

HTH

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card