cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Bringing wireless to a Campus

randyclark
Level 1
Level 1

I am wanting to add wireless to our campus, but I also want to protect our wired network. The powers that be also want a single login for our clients (students with differant types of wireless cards).

I am looking at using the 1200 series APs

Could I add an port to my firewall and put the APs on a seperate vlan and treat the APs as an untrusted network?

Also could I use a RADIUS server to authenticate the wireless users with active directory accounts from another server?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

blue.modal
Level 1
Level 1

Radius proxy will give you single sign-on.

If you put all of the APs in a subnet separated from your wired network by a firewall (you can use trunking between switches to avoid pulling a whole new cable plant) you can achieve what you are after.

Alternately, you can use a multi-layered security approach to protect APs directly on the wired subnet. A VPN on top of WEP and a MAC Address filter would protect you well.

Matthew Wheeler

Chief Wireless Architect

Blue Modal, Inc

www.bluemodal.com

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

blue.modal
Level 1
Level 1

Radius proxy will give you single sign-on.

If you put all of the APs in a subnet separated from your wired network by a firewall (you can use trunking between switches to avoid pulling a whole new cable plant) you can achieve what you are after.

Alternately, you can use a multi-layered security approach to protect APs directly on the wired subnet. A VPN on top of WEP and a MAC Address filter would protect you well.

Matthew Wheeler

Chief Wireless Architect

Blue Modal, Inc

www.bluemodal.com

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card