cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Brodcast SSID with no traffic

schadmin
Level 1
Level 1

I want to set up a SSID for the purposes of identifying where our access points are. But I dont want it to allow anyone to connect to it. Is this possible?? Or not to allow any traffic to or from that SSID?

3 Replies 3

djoconnor
Level 1
Level 1

There are a few ways to do this:

1. Access list on the radio to deny all. Depending on which level you do this you can control associations to the AP.

2. If you want to associate and go through 802.1x but not pass any real traffic setup a local radius server on the SSID and REJECT all access attempts.

If this is to be left in place, and not just part of a commissioning process, you should probably modify the beacon periods to a long time to avoid creating useless radio traffic.

vsnl_chennai
Level 1
Level 1

Hi ,

I suppose you can do this by plenty of ways ...

1) We can use the option of access list to deny any one joining the netwrok.

2) We can implement WEP or WPA , so that no one can get authoraization with out know the passwords .

The better way to use acess list and allow only those clients whom you want to grant acess.

This will even obivate the amount of processing power required for WPA or WEP

Regards,

Bramnha Prakash Tiwari

vsnl_chennai
Level 1
Level 1

Hi ,

I suppose you can do this by plenty of ways ...

1) We can use the option of access list to deny any one joining the netwrok.

2) We can implement WEP or WPA , so that no one can get authoraization with out know the passwords .

The better way to use acess list and allow only those clients whom you want to grant acess.

This will even obivate the amount of processing power required for WPA or WEP

Regards,

Bramnha Prakash Tiwari

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card