Views
Helpful
Replies

C9800-CL License eval + offline mode

EURL_IPSENS
Level 1
Level 1

Hi guys,

I'm opening this thread because I'm finding contradictory informations. I'm currently setting-up a test lab in order to migrate from AireOS env (vWLC) to C9800-CL. I'm trying to run 17.9.x or 17.12.x. It seems SLR not available in newer releases ?

- Is it still possible to run an evaluation mode ? As written on some docs (but not on others) there should be 90days +50AP evaluation (17.2.x, but can't find any info in >17.9.x) . Can everything works ? AP joining ect ?

- Is it still possible to run >17.9.x in an environment with NO internet access (and no proxy, CLSU etc..) and set-up licenses ?

Best regards,

PS : it seems to be more and more complicated understanding Cisco licensing processes ...

3 Replies 3

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You should be fine.  I do this all the time to test features. Have you tried to setup the 9800-CL yet and its not working?

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I just setup a new 9800-CL running the latest code in my home lab.  Keep in mind that not everything will migrate from AireOS to IOS-XE.  You should still review to make sure that some features did not get enabled by default that you might not want.  I typically like to build it from scratch especially if I want to clean up the configuration.  Since you can install as many as you wish, you really can do whatever you need to validate the new configuration.  Good luck.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Ref : https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/9800/9800-cloud/installation/b-c9800-cl-install-guide/b-c9800-cl-install-guide_chapter_01100.html#concept_tm2_44n_jlb
            https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/wireless/catalyst-9800-series-wireless-controllers/impl-catalyst-9800-wrls-lan-ctrlr-licens-faq.html
         >...This document describes the licensing model used on Catalyst 9800 Wireless LAN Controllers (WLCs) collected on Catalyst C9800-CL WLC: 17.2.1 image.
        >...
       >Q. Is there license enforcement on Catalyst 9800-CL WLC?

A.  If a 9800-CL WLC is not connected to a smart licensing service, there is a limit of 50 access points enforced on the device. Once a 9800-CL WLC is connected to a smart licensing service, this restriction disappears. The compliance of the controller is decided based on the licenses available.

Appendix   When configuring or staging/testing 9800 controllers checkout the configuration  with the CLI command
                       show tech wireless and feed the output from that into Wireless Config Analyzer
 use the full command as denoted in green , do not use a simple show tech as input for this procedure
                                           (Consider this a requirement before production!)

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card