Views
Helpful
Replies

C9800 MESH AP onbording

Mirek_Tichy
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I have several outdoor AP delivered in a MESH mode. I am not going to build a MESH network I only want to onboard the AP and convert it to a local mode. So I don't want to configure MESH AP join profile and site tag.

It was easy in the AireOS. I only put the AP's MAC addres into the AP Authorization list which had no impact to other registered local mode APs.

The minimal IOS-XE configuration I have found is:

aaa authorization credential-download default local
username 7488bb1dea3e mac description mesh-ap-1
But the aaa authorization command impacts all other running APs. I only want to authorize the new MESH AP and let others to continue running.

Can anybody tell, how to solve this situation?

Mirek

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Why not build a script and put in all Mac addresses for all your aps. This way the outdoor can join and then you can convert them. Later on, you just remove the MAC address validation and all the MAC addresses you entered earlier. If you have a spare or backup controller, you can have the mesh ap join that and maybe make the changes only in that controller just to get the AP’s up. 
There are other posts in the forum to enter a command to change the mode, but you will have to console into each ap. 

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Why not build a script and put in all Mac addresses for all your aps. This way the outdoor can join and then you can convert them. Later on, you just remove the MAC address validation and all the MAC addresses you entered earlier. If you have a spare or backup controller, you can have the mesh ap join that and maybe make the changes only in that controller just to get the AP’s up. 
There are other posts in the forum to enter a command to change the mode, but you will have to console into each ap. 

-Scott

Mirek_Tichy
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Scott, many thanks. Yes there are workarrounds but I was no sure if there aren't some easy way. You confirmed me not. In this case I lent my old 2504 to the custommer and changed the Opt 43 just for the MESH AP onboarding.

Good luck!

There is no other way as its a hard requirement for outdoor access points.

-Scott
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card