cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

C9800 - Redundancy SSO configuration issue.

Hello,

I have two 9800CL vWLCs on two separate Hyper-V hosts on IOS version: 17.9.4a

I am trying to configure redundancy but I am getting the error message "Redundancy configuration is not possible as there is no dedicated interface"

The controllers are configured as follows:

VLAN 30 - Management

Gi1 - IP address of 10.10.30.10

Gi2 - Trunk ports (trunking all)

Gi3 - Access port for VLAN30.

Gi1 and Gi2 are going into the same virtual switch called "LAN". Gi3 is going into a separate virtual switch called "Redundancy"

The running config contains the following:

!
redundancy
mode sso
!
!
vlan internal allocation policy ascending
!
vlan 3010
name Wireless_Mgmt
!
interface GigabitEthernet1
no switchport
ip address 10.10.30.10 255.255.255.0
negotiation auto
no mop enabled
no mop sysid
!
interface GigabitEthernet2
switchport mode trunk
negotiation auto
no mop enabled
no mop sysid
!
interface GigabitEthernet3
switchport mode trunk
negotiation auto
no mop enabled
no mop sysid
!
ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 10.10.30.1

!

redun-management interface GigabitEthernet3 chassis 1 address 10.10.30.12 chassis 2 address 10.10.30.13

!

On the Administration > Device > Redundancy page, I get

AnthonyOReilly_0-1702682091268.png

The Wireless interface is as follows:

I have also tried the following:

• I have tried manually to config HA via the command line but still having the same.
  • I have tried to have an SVI for VLAN 30 (10.10.30.0/24) and make Gi1 an access port for vlan 30. Gi2 is a trunk all and Gi3 is also a trunk port. When I do this I am unable to ping out to the gateway on the core switch.
  • If Gi1 is a L3 port, I can ping out.
  • IP routing is enabled

AnthonyOReilly_1-1702682682086.png

Any ideas???

Thanks Anthony.

9 Replies 9

marce1000
VIP
VIP

-  Is the Gi3 interface (or all interfaces for that matter) up and running ; check with show int status on both controllers
 - Check the output of show platform hardware chassis active qfp datapath pmd ifdev
    and look if the interfaces are connected to virtual switches as intended 
 -  Tagged traffic (internal vlan) used for HA SSO must also be tagged on the external switch connecting the hyperv hosts

Appendix ; check controller configuration with the CLI command show tech wireless and feed the output into Wireless Config Analyzer

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

Hi @marce1000 

Thanks for your great response.

sh int stauts shows all three ports as connected:

AnthonyOReilly_0-1702771592195.png

sh ip int bri shows the three ports up:

AnthonyOReilly_1-1702771659551.png

I ran the command " show platform hardware chassis active qfp datapath pmd ifdev" and " show platform hardware chassis 1 qfp datapath pmd ifdev" and it returned no output.

I put the config into the WLCAA and it didn't show up anything.

Can you confirm if I have the right setup on the hosts?

• Gi1 is going to a vswitch where there are other vms using it. The WLC VLAN is trunked up to the port and I can ping the gateway from the WLC. The gateway is on a switch a few hops away. This is a L3 port.
  • Gi2 is going to the same vswitch as Gi1. This is a trunk port allowing all VLANs.
  • Gi3 is going into a new vswitch, nothing else is on this vswitch. It is tagged for the same VLAN as ip address of Gi1. Should this be in the same vswitch as Gi1. If not, should it be in the same or different VLAN as Gi1.
  • The same setup is for both WLCs
  • Do I need to do anything special on Hyper-V host1 to allow Gi3's vswitch of C9800-01 to connect to Hyper-V host2 for C9800-02 Gi3's vswitch? 

Thanks Anthony.

>...I ran the command " show platform hardware chassis active qfp datapath pmd ifdev"  and it shows no output
                    Strange , should work, make sure if it was tried with full privileged account (rights)

> Do I need to do anything special on Hyper-V host1 to allow Gi3's vswitch of C9800-01 to connect to Hyper-V host2 for C9800-02 Gi3's vswitch? 
       - As I explained in my initial reply alreadyTagged traffic (internal vlan) used for HA SSO must also be tagged on the external switch(es) connecting the hyperv hosts

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

Screenshot (579).png

sorry I have little info. but I will try to help you as much as I can 
from cisco Guide there are two approach 
single and dual server 
I think you have single Server 
in single server you add four vSW, and connect RMI RPI WMI to these vSW 
it called vSW but it virtually separate, so you need to either make two vSW 
one vSW to connect RPI and other for RMI and WMI 
or interconnect these vSW through your Core SW. 

Hope this help you in your issue 
MHM

Thanks, this is the document we followed as part of the install.

So

The RPI must be in different subnet than WMI and RMI

The RPI and RMI must config as L3 port 

The WMI can config as SVI in trunk along with SVI of WLAN<->VLAN 

MHM

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I have not tried on Hyper-V (but on VMWARE with Dswitch and Vswitch both works) - as long as the interfaces are in right way.

as i was going through the documents - there are some steps to be performed on Hyper-V before you deploy CL controllers.

have you checked that :

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/wireless/catalyst-9800-cl-wireless-controller-cloud/nb-06-cat9800-cl-wirel-cloud-dep-guide-cte-en.html#Deployingthe9800CLonMicrosoftHyperV

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Thanks, I will get Hyper-V enginner to look at the pre-steps. We followed this document but I am not sure on the pre-steps. I will have a response on this in 2 days.

Sure always do the pre-steps and check anything missing, as long as the interface configured as expected that should work as expected.

after done the pre-checks still issue, suggest to engage with TAC can work with you for troubleshooting.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card