cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Calculating Coverage Area using directional antennae

Kevin Parsons
Level 1
Level 1

I am in the middle of designing a high density WiFi solution for an auditorium that seats 3,200 people.  I am using the 3702P access point with the AIR-ANT2513P4M-N antenna.

The antennae will be mounted on ceilings and catwalks with the antennae pointing down towards the ground, essentially a "coverage from above" scenario.  The antennae will be mounted approximately 30 feet above the floor and are listed as having a "30x30" azimuth/elevation plane. 

My question to those who might know is this:

Is there a formula or matrix or template that can be used to determine the "coverage area" on the floor?  Since the AP's/antennae essentially are shooting the signal at angles, the coverage area logically grows bigger the further away from the antenna the client radio is positioned.

I understand all the different nuances of power adjustment/SNR/number of devices/traffic types, etc.  But since the coverage is essentially "painting" the ground, my goal is to try to minimize channel/signal overlap (especially in the 2.4 gHz spectrum).  So basically, I'm trying to understand how to calculate the coverage area at different distances from a single antenna/AP combo in order to position the neighboring antennae at such angles as to help minimize the overlap.  I'm planning on budgeting approximately 60 connections per AP unless I simply find there's no way to minimize/mitigate the channel/signal overlap between coverage areas.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Kevin

4 Replies 4

Theo Van Wyk
Level 1
Level 1

http://www.cisco.com/web/strategy/docs/education/cisco_wlan_design_guide.pdf

Unfortunately, the link is dead! 

This is the excel spreadsheet calculator link =] https://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/access_point/1550/range/calculator/1552_Link_Calculator_V1.xls
-----------------------------
Please rate helpful / correct posts
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card