cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can cisco CAP2702i connect to Cisco3850 switch with wireless LAN controller license via another switch ?

gemcrawler22
Level 1
Level 1

If i connect cisco AP - CAP2702i to another switch, and use trunk port between Cisco3850 and the other switch , can the AP able to register with Cisco3850 with wireless LAN controller  ?   or the AP has to directly connect to Cisco3850 in order to register?

6 Replies 6

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

AP has to be directly connected to the switch.

Thanks for your reply. 

May i know what is reason that AP need to directly connected to the cisco 3850 with WLC?  I'm not sure why the AP unable register with cisco3850  when the AP connected to other switch(Cisco 3650poe)  and configured trunk port between the switch and cisco3850.

If you don't connect the ap directly to a MA or MC, then traffic will get tunneled back to the 3850.  How is the AP discovering the 3850?  Is the AP on the same vlan as the 3850 wireless management or not?  Has the AP's ever joined the MC yet?  Maybe connect one to the 3850 on the wireless management vlan you defined and let the AP join. Once joined, nice the AP to the other switch and see if it joins.  Look at the console output for reasons why the AP is not joining.

-Scott

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

The AP and 3850 wireless management are in same Vlan( vlan202). The AP is new unit and did not join MC before. 

What i did on 3850 :

input command - wireless management interface vlan 202

- ap cdp

- wireless mobility controller

Is there any config i miss out on 3850 and any config need to be set on AP ?

From Ap console output show me "could not discover WLC using dhcp ip". Is it due to AP dont have IP address? If AP register with WLC through layer 2 , i believe there is no related with IP.Correct me if i'm wrong.

Due to the 3850 is not a POE, the AP unable directly connect to 3850  . I guess have to use power adapter to power on the AP.

The AP needs to have an IP address before it can go through one of the process of finding the controller. You would see that the AP received an IP address from the console port.  There is also a bug on the 2702's in which you might be hitting if the AP isn't fetting DHCP.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/wireless-mobility/wireless-lan-wlan/70333-lap-registration.html

-Scott

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Console into the AP and reboot the AP.   Post the entire boot-up process.  We all want to see the error messages generated by the AP.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card