cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can I mix and Match Non DNA licensed APs with DNA licensed APs on the same 5520 ?

Customer of mine has 400 wave 2 APs with traditional licenses on a 5508 today. 

They are considering buying a 5520 instead of a 9800 in an attempt to avoid paying for DNA on all of their current 400 APs. 

However, they wish to add 60 more of the 9100 series APs which will require DNA licensing at time of purchase. 

So, as long as I am on a supported code rev, with supported AP models, the question is can I mix and match the two types of AP licenses on the same controller or is this an all or nothing scenario ? 

Must all of the APs be on either legacy licenses or DNA Licenses ? 

OR 

Can I mix and match both types of licenses on the same WLC ? 

2 Replies 2

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Hey Will!

Well from what I know, you can’t opt of if the DNA license on the 91x0 access points. So what you need is to purchase the license for the 5520 as if you are using 3800 or 4800 access points.
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

From 5520 operation point of view, it does not care whether AP came with DNA licenses or not, It will work.

Since the customer cannot migrate/rehost licenses from 5508 to 5520, they have to buy the same amount of license when they purchase 5520 (unless cisco agree to some kind of special pricing for licensing)

Thinking about the future of WLCs, it is not advisable to buy a 5520 as you may already know 8.10.x could be the last major software release for that platform

HTH

Rasika

*** Pls rate all useful responses ***

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card