Views
Helpful
Replies

Can i prioritize wifi users on usertype portal login username password

Munkhgerel
Level 1
Level 1

I want to enforce the logic that wifi clients are prioritized on network usage

for example let's say there is a school, with user types of teachers, students, and guests, I want all teachers prioritized on the network first getting quality traffic and then students, and then if there is any other resource left then guests.

All clients will access the network through the Portal with a username and password.

Can this logic be implemented in any way?

2 Replies 2

tobies
Level 1
Level 1

Yes, absolutely.

One possibility is to use a RADIUS/NAC solution with Webauth like ISE or other vendor's products to apply i.e. rate limits to different users/groups. This will be a quite complex solution.

A bit easier is deploying different SSIDs for those user groups and throwing them into different VLANs (note that you will waste airtime here). Your FW/gateway needs then to prioritize some VLANs over others.

JPavonM
VIP
VIP

Plese notice that any limitation imposed to traffic on the LAN/WAN will affect retransmissions, so consuming more airtime and lowering performance for all of them, hence decreasing the user experience. With modern wireless devices it is best to leave them to send all traffic as fast as possible. Of course you can rate limit traffic for users using ISE/RADIUS based on groups, but the problem is that at the end the device's operating system doesn't know about this rate limits and try to send all data when possible, so you'll end wasting airtime. Other option is to use different bands for different group of people, leaving 2.4 for students and 5 for teachers (not a good option, but this will be a solution for 6-GHz capable APs and devices)

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card