cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can I run two computers together without an Access Point?

francisco-amaya
Level 1
Level 1

which is the procedure for configure the equipments?

4 Replies 4

tepatel
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You need to connect two PC's right? You can connect ethernet crossover cable between two PC's ethernet port to pass the data in-between.

It seems as though the question was if they can use the Wireless LAN Adaptors to connect to PC's together w/o using an access point. A cross-over cable might not get the job done depending on how the PC's are situated. Who wants a 50 foot crossover run through their living room? :) I know that lower end solutions from Linksys, Netgear, etc. can do this as they are aimed at the consumer market. I am not sure if the Cisco cards can do this or not but I don't think so. Anyone?

Hi ,

You can do it with Cisco Wirleless card also .You can run wirelesscard in

adhoc mode .

There are two modes a) infrastructre mode and b) Ad hoc mode

If you have AP-client structre put in infrastructure mode and if you put it in

client-client put it in ADHOC mode. ..

Make sure you have same SSID on both cards and run in adhoc mode...

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/wireless/airo_350/350cards/windows/incfg/win_ch1.htm

Yup... "Infrastructure" mode implies that you are going to connect to a central Wireless Access Point (WAP) akin to a hub in the wired world. As I understand it (without looking it up! {:-)) "Ad-hoc" mode will look for the WAP or look for another client which is also referred to as Peer to Peer Wireless. As was mentioned, be sure that the SSID on both cards is the same as that is somewhat akin to a VLAN so wirelss networks can overlap space. Be aware that you will also have to agree on an IP addressing scheme as well.

“Review