cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can I set a time limit for connection to a certain WLAN?

Marc Reid
Level 1
Level 1

I would like to set a time limit for how long a client can be continously connected to the WLAN that provides my guest internet access. The user name/password is hosted on my ACS and authentication is provided by my Cisco NAC. I am using 5508 controllers (7.02) and WCS.

Somewhere in this combination of stuff, there has to be a way to set a two hour time limit.

7 Replies 7

Saravanan Lakshmanan
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

guess the acs should have account expiration limit configurable per user.

you can create guest account using lobby ambassador with time attached to the user.

George Stefanick
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

If you are looking for your guest to get kicked off which requires them to log back in .. One option would be to set the WLAN session timeout to 2 hours.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin
__________________________________________________________________________________________
‎"I'm in a serious relationship with my Wi-Fi. You could say we have a connection."

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

Like this?

The WLAN Session timeout is a hard limit for all users on the WLAN.

To my knowledge, the WLC should also honor AV-Pair 27 (session-timeout) if you set it through radius....  This would enforce a session reauthentication based on a value dynamically set through radius, opposed to a fixed value on the wlan...

With that said, the fixed "session timeout" on the wlan is the quick an easy method.... 

Marcreidwch,

Correct ...

Wes,

... how ya been ? +5 good response. Didnt think of that ..

‎"I'm in a serious relationship with my Wi-Fi. You could say we have a connection."

oh ya, IETF RADIUS Session-Timeout attribute (27).

Hamilton.tom
Level 1
Level 1

I am pretty sure the session time out would only work if you have a splash screen. Since this time out dosent kick the users off but makes sends a reauth

Tom

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card