cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can I set up Fail Over capability on two active WLC 5508 running 7.0?

Jose Marrero
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

The issue I'm experiencing is that for some reason some AP's are terminating the association to either one of the controllers for a short period of time. When this happens and the AP re-associates itself with either of the active controllers, it looses the information of what group it previously belonged; and it gets dropped in the default group, broadcasting every single SSID available.

What I would like to see happen is that if for some reason an AP terminates association, but restablishes it shortly; it can automatically go to the correct group.

Both WLC are running the same version and have the same amount of licenses, they can hold all the AP's one of the WLC came down. Config-wise they are identical except that the groups are named differently but ultimately configured the same. If that is an issue we can change it no problem since it's only the name. But so far every document I've researched requires to have one WLC active and one in stand-by. Just want to make sure if that's the only way to go. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jose.

5 Replies 5

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The groups need to exactly the same. That's the issue.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Thanks for your prompt response. I will make the changes, test and let you know of my results.

Thanks again

Yahya Jaber
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Jose,

first of all, i would check why does the AP disassociate from the WLC, you can send the logs from the AP to a syslog server and whenever it happens, just post the outputs here.

what is the version that you are running on?

if some of the AP's are facing this issue, what do they share in common?

does the AP on the WLC show that it rebooted? "AP uptime" and "LWAPP uptime"

now, for the HA configuration, you need both WLC to be at least 7.3 and the standby to have 50 permenant license, so the rest of the licenses could be moved to the active WLC for future expansion.

This is the error that comes up in the controller when I do a show logging command:

spamApTask2: Mar 19 16:58:53.371: %DTLS-3-HANDSHAKE_FAILURE: openssl_dtls.c:631 Failed to complete DTLS handshake with peer 172.16.115.2

That is one of the the AP's that dropped.

AP share a couple of things like image and model, that's about it. Everything is pushed out of the controller.

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The one thing also is to make sure that you have set the primary and secondary WLC on each AP. even having the WLAN ID's the same in each WLC is important. Just take time to compare the two and like Yajaber mentioned, look at why the AP's are moving to different WLC often.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card