Views
Helpful
Replies

Can't make AIR-AP1542I connect as Mesh AP

lecabral
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to configure an AIR-AP1542I as a Mesh AP. I've configure many Mesh APs of other models (1572, IW3702, 1552) in the same way with no issues, adding the AP mac to the AP Policies page in the WLC. In this case, this 1542 will be a Mesh AP with an IW3702 as RAP, but now in the Lab, I'm using another 1542 as RAP. 

So in summary:

- WLC with 8.5.151 software.

- 1542I as RAP and 1542I as Mesh. RAP is powered by a PoE+ switch, MAP is powered with power injector. 

- When I bring down the ethernet interface in the switch where the MAP power injector is connected, to make it switch to Mesh mode, it never connects.

- When I try to list neighbors I get an empty list from both APs.

- Added both APs to AP Policies page on WLC as always. 

- Both APs using the same Bridge Group and Strict Matching BGN, also Ethernet bridging and same native vlan. With Strict BGN unchecked, same result.

I'll appreciate any ideas.

Thanks,

Leo.

4 Replies 4

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Have you defined the backhaul channel on both when the ap was both wired and up on the wlc.
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Yes, on the RAP I was able to set it to 5Ghz, on the Mesh I can't, when I do it a message appears indicating that the operation can only be performed on RAPs.

Thanks,

Leo.

You set it on a specific channel like 165? Typically when I lab up mesh, I will use a power adapter not a power injector. Make sure the devices are not next to each other also.
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Yes, I set a specific channel on the RAP, and devices have a separation of at least 5-6 meters.

Regards,
Leo.
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card