Views
Helpful
Replies

can we configure 2 x Mobility Express AP as active/active

hashimwajid1
Level 3
Level 3

Hi,

we are using single AP1560 as standalone controller for 100 APs (it support only 100 APs). now we are adding 40 more APs in network.

my question is can we add another AP 1562 in Network and configure as second Active controller for new APs ?

is it possible to have 2 x 1562 Active/Active in network at same time ?

how can we achieve this scenario to support 140 APs with 2 x 1562 in single network ?

Thanks

4 Replies 4

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The answer is no.  The limitations as you already know is 100 access points with only one controller being active in a subnet.  What you can do is create a new subnet and start using that, but you will have to see if you can setup mobility and if that works.  ME requires all access points in the same subnet with max of 100.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Dear Scott,

thanks for answer, I tried by creating a different subnet and putting new AP 1562 in new subnet but i observed the below behavior.

1- old APs are in VLAN 10 and new AP in VLAN 20. i configured new AP 1562 as standalone controller in VLAN 20 and put some APs in VLAN 20 but still APs were registering in VLAN 10 old controller. (very strange as I did not configure DHCP Option)

2- i disconnected the AP  and configure another AP 1562 as controller and connect it in VLAN 20 but when i see in CLI logs of the 1562  its coming with AP cli and seeking for CAPWAP controller. 

i see this below log message 

vrrp detected external controller. moving to day 1 

i am suspecting that even i configure new controller in separate switch and when i connect it back to production network, for somehow its still can detect the presence of old controller AP which is in different subnet and keep searching for controller IP.

You understand that all ap's need to be on the same subnet.  Since you have over 100 access points, your only choice is to have another controller on a different subnet.  You can't just put an ap in a different subnet, because like what I said, they need to be on the same subnet.

Here is an example:

Wireless network 1:

Subnet 100 - max 100 access points

Wireless network 1:

Subnet 200 - max 100 access points

-Scott

Haydn Andrews
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I'm about 99% sure that with Mobility express you also can't do mobility between controllers, therefore with Scott's solution also make sure that the APs are not servicing the same area between the subnets.

They will undergo a full reauthentication when the client moves between which will cause issues with real time applications like voice/ video.

Another solution might be getting a virtual controller like the 9800 and run it in the cloud (like AWS) or existing VM environment. Or whilst not supported by VM you can always run it on a NUC running esxi (although read some blogs on people setting this up)

*****Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"*****
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card