Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can we do High Availability in 2504?

We have a Cisco WLC 2504, we also have a spare WLC 2504. I was wondering if I can connect them in High availability mode. I have researched and am not clear whether WLC 2504 supports HA or not? Need help. If we can configure HA then can someone direct me to the correct resources to do HA?

Thank you

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Glad to help you :)

Regards If you satisfied with the answer then please mark this question as answered, it may help others.

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

Sandeep Choudhary
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

HI,

Yes we can have HA but only in N+1 Mode.

Here is the guide: https://rscciew.wordpress.com/2014/06/07/n1-high-availability-configuration-on-cisco-2504wlc/

Regards

Dont forget to rate helpful posts

Thank you for your reply and the link. I have gone through the link but still need some clarification. The link says that it is for different data centre. But I want redundancy for only one data centre. Also, what does active/standby HA without AP or client SSO functionality means?

Hi,

You can also have redundancy in same data center.

1. 2504 doesn't support AP SSO and Client SSO

During an AP SSO, all the AP sessions statefully switch over and all the clients are deauthenticated and reassociated with the new active controller except for the locally switched clients in the FlexConnect mode.

Client SSO: clinet will move to secondary WLC without any interruption in case primary WLC is down.

More INFO. http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/7-5/configuration-guide/b_cg75/b_cg75_chapter_01101111.html

2. 2504 only support N+1 HA mode

Means once primary WLC is down then all AP will join to Secondary and client have to re-authenticate means timeout will be there.

Regards

Thank you very much for the information. From what I understand, if 1 wlc fails then 2nd WLC takes over and users who are connected to the internet will be disconnected and they will have to enter their WIFI password again. Is that right?

Also, we have mac binding for the users in our WLC so will all the mac addresses be transferred over automatically?

Hi,

From what I understand, if 1 wlc fails then 2nd WLC takes over and users who are connected to the internet will be disconnected and they will have to enter their WIFI password again. Is that right?

Yes, AP will fail-over to secondary WLC. As per my exp.. user don't need to enter password again. Once all AP will join to secondary WLC then your client can access internet again.

Also, we have mac binding for the users in our WLC so will all the mac addresses be transferred over automatically?

No nothing will automatically happen in N+1 or mode. You need to enter manually the same mac address table in secondary WLC as well.

Regards

Dont forget to rate helpful posts, also don't forget to mark this question answered, it may help others.

We have around 600 mac address in our WLC, so I need the functionality of the mac addresses getting copied over to the 2nd WLC automatically. Which model of WLC will do the job?

Thank you.

I think if you have WLC model 5500/7500/8500 WLC , they will do the job of config sync.

Regards

Thank you, we will go with it. I was considering the Cisco WLC 5500 series for this purpose. 

Thank you Sandeep.

Glad to help you :)

Regards If you satisfied with the answer then please mark this question as answered, it may help others.

marek.golha
Level 1
Level 1

Yes as Sandeep pointed out. But it is only active/standby HA without AP or client SSO functionality.

Marek

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card