cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cannot console into an Aironet 1230

kneghx001
Level 1
Level 1

I have a Cisco Aironet 1230A that I'd like to configure and deploy. Problem is I know absolutely nothing about its current configuration, including its IP address. So, I'm trying to console in but when I connect I get my empty black screen but I can't type anything. No matter what key I hit nothing registers. Has anyone ever come across this problem?

6 Replies 6

mtempro
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

For support on this device we have moved your post from the small business wireless area to the getting started with wireless area in the enterprise forum.

Regards,

Marvin

Message was edited by: Cindy Toy, Small Business Support Community Manager

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Connect to the router with these terminal settings:

9600 baud rate
No parity
8 data bits
1 stop bit
No flow control

I was using those same settings except I had flow control set to XON/XOFF. Switched it to none and still have the same problem.

Your terminal settings look correct.

Are you using a a serial port on the PC or a serial/USB converter?

It's most likely either a port issue selection on the terminal software or a defective AP.

Check your laptop's device manager under > Ports (COM & LPT) and make sure you are selecting the same port on terminal software (hyperterminal for instance,) as you see listed in Port section.

Otherwise it could be a defective AP.

I'm using a serial to USB converter. I don't have anything with a serial port.

It occured to me that it may be a port selection issue so I systematically tried all ports but then I also consoled into a Dell switch that I have to confirm the port, it's COM6. It just won't work when I attempt to console into the AP.

i am facing the same problem (able to console 3550 sw, but not the APs), but i havent got the time to check.

possible workaround

- if you do not need the configuration, you may want to perform a restore to factory settings

- or you can try to get the IP address by connecting to a cisco sw or router, hoping that the CDP is running. you could telnet to the AP.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card