Views
Helpful
Replies

CAP-1602i power output is max 16 dBm

Bart Hunik
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I've got some problems with coverage on a site with 1602i AP's on a 2504 WLC. After some troubleshooting it seems that the 802.11b radio's are sending with a 16 dBm power output. However the data sheet of the 1602 says it can send out 22 dBm. I live in the Netherlands were the max legal transmit power is 100mW, wich is about 20 dBm. How does it come that my radio's are not sending more then 16 dBm? Can i raise the max power output of these AP's? Or are these settings by design? 

With kind regards,

Bart Hunik

3 Replies 3

Saurav Lodh
Level 7
Level 7

Please read

https://supportforums.cisco.com/document/81881/radio-transmit-power-cisco-aironet-controller-based-aps

Freerk Terpstra
Level 7
Level 7

This access-point has internal antennas with a gain of 4.0 dBi for both the 2.4 and 5Ghz, combined with the 16 dBm output power give 20 dBm EIRP for the 2.4 which is indeed the allowed maximum.

Don't forget that your clients needs to be able to talk back to the access-point, so (much) more power on the access-point side is useless if you don't change something on the client side as well. My advice is to start with a proper site survey to validate the RF.

Moin Ilyas
Level 4
Level 4

To set the maximum power level, use the maximum syntax. The default local power level is maximum. Below are the details for command 'power local'.

power local

To configure the access point radio power level, use the power local command in interface configuration mode. To use the default value of maximum power, use the no form of this command.

2.4-GHz Access Point Radio (802.11b/g)

power local {cck | ofdm} {milliwatt | maximum}

no power local

5-GHz Access Point Radio (802.11a)

power local {milliwatt | maximum}

no power local

Syntax Description

cck

Sets Complimentary Code Keying (CCK) power levels.

ofdm

Sets Orthogonal Frequency Division Multiplexing (OFDM) power levels.

milliwatt

Power level in milliwatts (mW). For the 802.11b/g radio, value can be 7, 10, 13, 15, 17, or 20. For the 802.11a radio, value can be 4, 7, 10, 13, or 16.

maximum

Specifies the maximum power level.

Command Default

The default local power level is maximum.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card