Views
Helpful
Replies

CAPWAP Data controll

shijomon scaria
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I have access points in flexconnect (HREAP) mode in my network.

There are two profiles which are centrally switched across the WAN network, basically for guest internet access.

Now the problem is I am unable to manage the traffic in those profiles with my CBQOS policies in place as the traffic showing AP IP to WLC IP only.

My question is if I put a cap for the traffic from my WLC to those APs, would it affect other profiles which are locally switched also ?

Thanks in advance,

Shijomon Scaria.

5 Replies 5

George Stefanick
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hello 

The central switch traffic would be your control and data plane. If you choke it to much you may impact your control traffic.

big picture what are you you trying to throttle ? Guest generated traffic ? 

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

Hi George,

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, guest traffic...

Regards,

Shijo.

Currently we have a similar problem. Our guest are using tremendous amount of video between 10am and 2pm. It's exceeding out purchased bandwidth limits. We consider a number of  changes.

today we are choking the returned traffic from specific up ranges like google video.

another thing you can consider is per user bandwidth contracts. It can control both up and down stream traffic ..

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/7-4/configuration/guides/consolidated/b_cg74_CONSOLIDATED/b_cg74_CONSOLIDATED_chapter_01110.html#ID3092

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

Hi George,

Thanks for the inputs.

What about putting a cap for traffic from WLC IP to AP IP on port UDP 5247 ? Does it make any sense ? As the other profiles are local switched it should not match this entry..

Regards,

Shijo.

Hi George,

I think only the centrally switched traffic will show as the traffic between AP and WLC the rest locally switched traffic will show exactly form host to host. Correct me if I am wrong.

Regards,

Shijo.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card