cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cat5e cabling for RJ45 and LSA+

jpt60
Level 1
Level 1

What is best practice to wire a Cat5e cable (4 pairs) with an RJ45 at one end, and a LSA+ at the other, which only uses 2 pairs?

How does one best "wire" or isolate the unused 2 pairs?

Many thanks

4 Replies 4

patoberli
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Cat5e is 8 wires, not 4. If you only have two pairs, then it's at a maximum Cat5 which as far as I remember also allows only four wires. 

Remember, you get a maximum of 100 Mbps through that connection, is this still enough for the coming years for you?

To be honest, I would replace that cabling rack and make Cat6a plugs instead of LSA+.

For Fast Ethernet just wire the pins 1,2,3 and 6:

https://pinouts.ru/NetworkCables/ethernet_10_100_1000_pinout.shtml

Thank you @patoberli . I should have added more details in my post: Yes, my Cat5e cable has 4 pairs (=8 wires). The end with the RJ45 will go into a switch, the LSA+ end is inbuilt into an EV wallbox - so I cannot change that.

My question now is whether it is wise to use that Cat5e cable and leave 2 pairs/4 wires unused / uncrimped. If so, where and how do I cut the unused wires so they can never make unintended contact with anything, like ESD, shielding, etc.?

Or should I get a new Cat5 cable with 2pairs/4 wires only?

What is best and safe practice here?

Thank you

Ah I see. Those are usually very thin cables and if cut cleanly should be unable to cause contact. Otherwise you could use some electrical tape on them. Some thread them around the main cable and leave them like this. You can check out old phone cabling for how it was done in the past.

Thank you @patoberli. Very helpful reply. Cheers
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card