Views
Helpful
Replies

Catalyst 9800 Anchor Wireless setup

pabloayalas
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I'm trying to find a way to configure the anchor WLC in the 9800 that can also broadcast the SSID and allow to connect clients. We had Aireos without any problem, but now that we are migrating, we just realized that we can't anchor and keep serving wireless clients within the same SSID. Based on this documentation (https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/wireless/catalyst-9800-series-wireless-controllers/213912-configure-mobility-anchor-on-catalyst-98.html#toc-hId--2049776176) there is a note where it says "You must not use the Export Anchor setting, for any policy profile tied to a WLAN profile on a controller with access points. This prevents the SSID from being broadcast, so this policy must be used exclusively for Anchor functionality." Does anyone know how to configure an anchor setup and allow the anchor to keep serving wireless clients?

Thanks

3 Replies 3

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

never tried - but check below thread may help you : 

https://community.cisco.com/t5/wireless/9800-auto-anchor-with-local-aps-and-ssid/td-p/4766287

Note : if that not helpful  raise an TAC case is good option to see if that can be possible with the way you thinking to do.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

balaji.bandi,

I just wanted to let you know that I contacted someone from Cisco, and he contacted the BU. They provided a workaround that I tested, and it's fixed. 

I had to duplicate two components from the existing setup: a wireless policy and a WLAN. For instance, we have a Guest_Network under the company's Wireless profile policy. I duplicated it and renamed it Guest_Wireless_Anchor. In this setup, I enabled the anchor configuration. You need to have nearly identical configurations on both anchor and foreign controllers, with just a few minor adjustments. For example, you can ignore the VLAN on the wireless profile policy in the foreign controller since you're not supposed to have a local IP address assignment. 

yes you need to use public IP for Anchoring that i am aware of there is documented in on cisco .

glad all good. we  make this as closed.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card