cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CCI from extender of AP

Leftz
Level 4
Level 4

Hi we have an AP which is connected to an extender. and then we can see our devices can receive two ssid signals. One is from the AP and second is from the Extender. but the two ssid have same channel 1. Do you think if we need to change the channel into two different channel for CCI issue? Thanks

6 Replies 6

Extender to work, it has to be on the same channel as root/parent AP.

What you can do it keep a seperate band (2.4GHz/5GHz) for backhaul (ie connecting extender to parent) and other band for client connectivity (eg on extender 5GHz band given to wireless clients) using different SSID compare to backhaul SSID

HTH
Rasika
*** Pls rate all useful responses ***

Leftz
Level 4
Level 4

Thank you very much for your reply. Can you explain a little bit more how to handle this issue? 

@Leftz you should read the configuration guide for the access point and extender products you are using.

Depend on the product you use choices may be different. In my home, I use 2 x Netgear APs (Root AP - connect to switch, Node AP - backhaul using dedicated SSID on 6GHz). So both APs on same channel in 6GHz which resulting CCI. Refer below post how i set it up
https://mrncciew.com/2023/02/27/home-lab-wi-fi-6e-upgrade/ 

But in 2.4/5GHz, those are in two different channel and my client connecting SSID on those APs not cause CCI. 

HTH
Rasika
*** Pls rate all useful responses ***

Leftz
Level 4
Level 4

I do not agree with you. while Wi-Fi extenders can help extend coverage, they might introduce complexity and potential interference issues. CCI might happen. If you disagree with me, please tell why

Leftz
Level 4
Level 4

@Rasika Nayanajith You mentioned "Extender to work, it has to be on the same channel as root/parent AP." 

Is there document to address this issue? My question is if CCI exists when extender is connected to AP as both extender and AP  have the same channel for user? 

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card