Views
Helpful
Replies

Changing the IP address of the management interface

darren-carr
Level 2
Level 2

Hi all,

I need to make a change to a pair of Production wireless controllers. Basically the IP range that was assigned for the wireless LAN is no longer sufficient. The gateway for the controllers is a pair of Cisco 4500's that are running HSRP.

I need to extend the LAN from a /23 to a /22. Unfortunately the range of addresses is completely different. To make matters worse I have to do this remotely, some distance away!

The layer 3 interface on the switches uses .2 and .3 of the new address range with .1 as the gateway (standby ip).

The controllers are setup as a Primary and Secondary device. With all the APs currently associated with the Primary.

My plan was to change the IP address of the management and ap-manager (both are on the same subnet) on the Secondary controller, I'd then lose visibility of the Secondary controller, then change the IP addresses of the physical interfaces on the 4500's. Confirm reachabilty to the new IP addresses defined on the Secondary controller. Assuming this works, reconfigure the physical interfaces on the two interfaces to ensure the Primary is reachable again, make the IP changes to the Primary WLC, update the physical interfaces on the 4500's to use the new IP addresses and then both WLC's should be reachable. The AP's will hopefully have rebooted and obtained a new IP address from the new range defined for them.

I'm really not sure of another way of doing this, other than adding a secondary IP address to the interfaces?

I also wonder if there is a way to apply the initial configuration to the secondary controller, and if my changes don't work, reload the controller so it goes back to using the saved configuration and not the running configuration. Do the controllers support something similar to the 'reload in x' command like on Cisco switches? I've looked up the reset command but am not sure it achieves the same outcome?

Any ideas?

5 Replies 5

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I have done this many times:). Making changes in one or the other WLC is what I would do first. So if you change the backups IP address, make sure you change the mobility group information along with the primary and secondary WLC in the high availability tab. Then move the AP's to the changed WLC. Then make the change to the primary WLC and do the same. There is a reload from the management tab in the GUI, but I never use it for that purpose since I can make the changes from the CLI or connected to the service port.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Hi Scott,

Would you do the Primary or Secondary controller first? All the AP's are currently associated with the Primary controller.

We don't have access to the console port on the controller remotely. We don't have a KVM/IP KVM there.

What would be the safest method in your opinion?

- Make the IP changes through the GUI on the Secondary controller.

- Make the changes on the L3 switches.

- Confirm reachability to the new ap-manager IP address and management IP address.

- Adjust the configuration on the L3 switch so the Primary is reachable again.

- Make the IP change through the GUI on the Primary controller.

- Confirm reachability to the Primary and Secondary.

Do the controllers support the 'reload in x' command or something similar? And is the 'Apply' command in the GUI like committing the change to the running-configuration but not the start-up configuration or if there is a major problem I can get somebody on-site to pull the power?

Thanks

I would do the secondary first then.... When you make the changes and then you setup the mobility and the high availability, then move your aps to the backup.  Make the change to the primary and then move your aps to the primary.  Remembmer to make changes to the mobility group and the high availability on the access points.  If you have the ip address incorrect on either, the AP's might have issues down the road when there is a failure.

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Hi Scott,

Sorry for the late reply. I am now going to site to make the changes as it has been deemed too risky to do this remotely.

With this in mind I was thinking I would change my plan slightly. I've gone over your comments above, but I can't seem to find the HA tab? We are running Cisco 4404, software version 6.0.199.4.

I was thinking that now I would simply change the management interface via the service port on each WLC. Then adjust the Layer 3 switch configuration.

My question is, when I make the changes will the AP's reboot automatically? Or will I need to instruct them to do this? Should I also reboot the WLCs after the change?

Also, when you say move the APs from the primary to the backup what do you mean? How is this achieved?

I was hoping that it was going to be as simple as changing the IP address on the WLCs to the new addresses and that would be it?

Thanks

abwahid
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

please check the below link

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/switches/catalyst-6500-series-switches/10594-8.html

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card