cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Changing Wireless Controllers

tndmcclain
Level 1
Level 1

I have a single WLC 5508 on my network at this time.  I have 108 access points all CAPWAP associated to it.  I am in the process of configuring two new 5508 controllers in a HA configuration.  The IP address of the primary will be the same as the IP of the current controller.  I use option 43 for the access points to find the controller IP in my DHCP server.  I want to make sure that I can get the access points to associate to the new controller correctly and to get them their configuration (flexconnect).  Is there a way to create a seed file with the names, IPs and AP type that I can load into the controller before putting it in production?

2 Replies 2

Freerk Terpstra
Level 7
Level 7

Access-point related configuration is being saved on this access-point itself. These are things like the last joined controller, primary/secondary controller settings, hostname, access-point mode and AP group. The big exception you need to be aware of is the that the FlexConnect group relation is not being saved on the access-point itself. So if you are currently using FlexConnect groups you need to export the lists with MAC address and import / prime the new controller.

Before you pair-up the two new controllers in a HA-SSO setup make sure that at least release 8.0.121.0 and FUS 1.9 is installed on both. Upgrading the FUS image takes at least 35min, so don't freak out :-). The management interface needs to be configured as a "tagged" interface, use a unrouted VLAN for connected the RP ports if there are switches in between.

Be aware when you are going to "rip & replace" the current controller with new units while using the same IPv4 addresses, in some cases ARP tables might need to be cleared on the upstream router (default-gateway).

Please rate useful posts... :-)

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card