cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Channel 14?

craign1143
Level 1
Level 1

We have a tech researching some issues we have and he thinks it is because too much traffic on channels 1,6 and 11 which our wlc currently uses.  However, about 20 other neighbors use the same channels with their wireless.   We are a retirement center and have a couple of large complexes and many residents choose to have their own internet and wireless.    The consultant wants to change the channel from 1,6, and 11 to  14.    I read some information sugesting that is not a god solution, but I dont want to say anything as this tech should have the sufficient knowledge on this.   Can anybody reassure me that setting wlc all 86 APs mix 1121,1241 and 3501s will  not have any ill effects?

Regards

craig

3 Replies 3

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Firstly, a 14-channel Wi-Fi is for European standard.   So if your WAP is, for example, has the "-A", it won't work.

Next, not all clients can "understand" 14-channel regulatory.

The bad thing about your network is that all of your WAPs only have 802.11b/g radio (you don't have 802.11a).  The only way to minimize the effect of channel interferrence is to disable 802.11b data rates and operate at 802.11g rates only. 

George Stefanick
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I concur with Leo. Channel 14 isn't allowed for use with wifi. Try to keep your channels away from theirs. Also make sure you have 20dBm away from same channels.

Another option is to use 802.11a 5 ghz. You have 23 channels to use. All of which don't overlap.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

Channel 14 ist allowed in Japan! I prefer to use only 1,6,11 in international enviroments.

Like George said, you should make sure you have 20dBm at least between the channels and I would prefere the "a" band in that case too.

Maybe an RF survey would help to understand your air much more and to decide a manual RF channel assignment or to change the WLC config. It depends on the RF settings on the WLC which channels he is using.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card