Replies

characteristics of wireless repeater topology

mahesh18
Level 6
Level 6

Hi all,

I was studying for exam and i found this topic

characteristics of wireless repeater topology--

it says Autonomous access points are required.

is this true can we also use lightweight AP  with repeaters?

second it says that  The SSID of the root access point must be configured on the repeater  access point.

IF someone can explain me this in more detail please?

thanks

mahesh

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Surendra BG
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

Q>>  it says Autonomous access points are required. is this true can we also use lightweight AP  with repeaters?

ANS - Repeater is supported only on Autonomous AP design.. In MESH design we do use repeater term but its different compared to the REPEATER what you are pointing to..

Q>> second it says that  The SSID of the root access point must be configured on the repeater  access point.

ANS - To get the REPEATER AP associate with the ROOT AP, we need to configure both the APs for identical settings apart from the IP and the Station role.. so that they will associate. If different SSIDs are configured the APs will not associate.

Lemme know if this answered your question..

Regards

Surendra

Regards
Surendra BG

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Surendra BG
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

Q>>  it says Autonomous access points are required. is this true can we also use lightweight AP  with repeaters?

ANS - Repeater is supported only on Autonomous AP design.. In MESH design we do use repeater term but its different compared to the REPEATER what you are pointing to..

Q>> second it says that  The SSID of the root access point must be configured on the repeater  access point.

ANS - To get the REPEATER AP associate with the ROOT AP, we need to configure both the APs for identical settings apart from the IP and the Station role.. so that they will associate. If different SSIDs are configured the APs will not associate.

Lemme know if this answered your question..

Regards

Surendra

Regards
Surendra BG

Hi Surendra,

Many thanks for the reply.

You answered my both questions.

reagrds

mahehs

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: