cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 1252 AP - issues with RJ-45 jack

Kayle Miller
Level 7
Level 7

I wanted to run this by the forums members to see if anyone else has experienced this, I have seen a hand-ful of Cisco 1252 access point that have issues with the RJ-45 jack where the cable doesn't seem to sit wierd in the jack and any vibration causes the cable to lose connection and the AP powers off. Now with that being said if you pull on the cable it doesn't unplug so it's locking into the jack, all of the cables tested with were factory made molded cables. Prior to RMA'ing the batch of AP's we were able to recreate it with the clients Cat6 patch cords but not their Cat5 & Cat5e cables.  Cisco TAC felt it was a cabling issue, but replaced the units. All of the ap's that I have seen experience this issue appeared to be from the same batch. My problem is I can't recreate the issue with my in-house 1252's so it raises these questions.

1) Could it be there was a batch of AP's that have a different RJ-45 Jack?

2) Could it be a compatibility issue with the RJ-45 Plug on the cable?

3) Are they different dimensional specs for a Cat6 RJ-45 versus a Cat5 RJ-45?

Any thoughts would be great..

Thanks.

Kayle

2 Replies 2

George Stefanick
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Funny you bring this up ...

I had a similar problem, but it was our cables. We are using Siemens CAT6 patch cables, the ones that have the "chips inside". The APs would be on the network and drop off for no reason at all. We looked at everything and determined it was our cables. This happened first on our 1252s but then noticed it on our 1142s. Our issue was the cables...

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

Thanks George.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card