cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 1830 can't download Mobility Express updates?

domatech1
Level 1
Level 1

We recently purchased a Cisco 1830 wireless access point with Mobility Express, AIR-AP1832I-Z-K9C.

After setting this up I've attempted to download updates but continually fails.

I can download the standalone (Lightweight AP) firmware, and Mobility Express is apparently a free licence, but I can’t use the Lightweight AP firmware with Mobility Express and I can’t download Mobility Express updates without having a ‘valid service contract’! Where exactly does it state on any of the Cisco documentation for the 1830 series or Mobility Express that the customer has to have a service contract to download updates?

Why do I need a service contract for free software?

I've already wasted countless hours on this. Please help!

Message received when attempting to download;

To Download this software, you must have a valid service contract associated to your Cisco.com profile.

If you do not have a service contract you can get one through:

•Your Cisco Account Team if you have a direct purchase agreement with Cisco

•Your Cisco Partner or Reseller

Once you have the service contract you must associate your service contract to your Cisco.com user ID with Profile Manager

We’ve completed setting this up using Mobility Express, and I’ve created a Cisco ID for the customer, but I cannot figure out where to register this device for them?

7 Replies 7

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

EmailTAC with the AP serial number and see if they can publish the firmware.

Thanks Leo for your reply.

I just spent a good half hour on the phone with TAC, complete waste of time, they couldn't even tell me if this device is actually entitled to software updates or not. And apparently this serial number was supplied to a different company back in January, and 'software updates' expired in July.

I've emailed the distributor to see if they can sort this out.

So much time wasted...

Edit: This was purchased new from an authorised Cisco distributor. I'm actually the reseller. I don't sell a lot of Cisco, don't think I'll be selling a lot in the future. Can't believe how difficult and time consuming it is just to get a simple answer!

Read the Cisco Security Advisory called "Multiple Vulnerabilities in Wi-Fi Protected Access and Wi-Fi Protected Access II" and scroll down to the  "Customers Without Service Contracts" section.  Read very, very carefully the first two paragraphs with emphasis on the second paragraph. 

Thanks Leo, yes I saw that when searching on the issue earlier. Not really a solution. As much as possible I try to keep all customer devices up to date with the latest firmware updates as they become available. So going through that 'process' every time there is an update to install is just plain silly.

As far as I can see from Cisco documentation on 1830 series, there is no service contract required to download firmware updates, and this is confirmed by the ability to download the 'Lightweight AP' update.

And according to the Cisco documentation on Mobility Express, this is a free licence!

So customers should not have to go through convoluted processes every time they want to install firmware updates to maintain the security of their devices.

@domatech1 wrote:

there is no service contract required to download firmware updates

Only CAPWAP images don't require a valid Service Contract.  The logic behind this is people who download CAPWAP images means that there is a WLC involved and the "Service Contract" is actually implied to the WLC (and not the WLC).  

Mobility Express may be a free license to the amount of APs allowed but that doesn't cover software download.  

If that is the case then this should be clearly documented in Cisco's pre sales documentation, which in this case it clearly isn't. I remember quoting other Cisco products in the past and items like this are included in their data sheets with product numbers.

Not good enough Cisco!

This won't be helpful, but I thought I would point out a couple of things.

There is a difference between updates and upgrades.

Going from 8.1.xxx.0 to 8.2.xxx.0 is an upgrade.

Going from 8.1.xxx.0 to 8.1.yyy.0 is an update.

At least that is my interpretation.

Unfortunately the portal is not smart enough to sort this aspect out and you need a contract to download any level.

It would appear this is also the case with TAC.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card