Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 2504 Controller compatibility?

Kelvin C
Level 1
Level 1

Morning/Evening everyone,

Stupid question but is the Cisco 2504 Wireless Controller able to connect and manage a Catalyst 9100 AP? If not what's the highest gen model of AP's we can go with before running into compatibility issues? Right now we're looking into upgrading AP's for one of our locations but I'm curious if our WLC can even handle the latest AP's that Cisco offers. Data sheet doesn't help too much but I'm not even sure if there is such a thing as an incompatible AP but I'd rather avoid spending on an AP that's not even going to work with our WLC.

Thanks for the help!

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

No, not possible. 

Catalyst 9k AP requires the WLC to run 8.10.X.X. 

2504/5508/WiSM2 only supports up to 8.5.X.X.

View solution in original post

Just to add to Leo’s helpful post. Always check the matrix and keep this handy. This will show all the mix and match of wireless and what will work with what.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/compatibility/matrix/compatibility-matrix.html
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

No, not possible. 

Catalyst 9k AP requires the WLC to run 8.10.X.X. 

2504/5508/WiSM2 only supports up to 8.5.X.X.

I see. So as long as the requirements for the AP is 8.5 or lower it should be able to run on an 2504?

That is correct.
-Scott

Just to add to Leo’s helpful post. Always check the matrix and keep this handy. This will show all the mix and match of wireless and what will work with what.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/compatibility/matrix/compatibility-matrix.html
-Scott
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card