Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 2504 WLC - one AP is not joining

ITexpert
Level 3
Level 3

Hello Guys,

I am using the 2504 WLC with 69 APs but 1 AP is not joining the WLC.

I dont even know where that AP physically located.

I can ping that AP from any WIFI connected device.

Please advice how to join this AP.

Thanks

@Flavio Miranda @patoberli

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

:)

You said that you can ping this AP, right? can you track it the MAC address and use "show cdp neighbors" to check the model on the switch?

In your WLC can you share the output "show license capacity"

Espero que la información haya sido útil y si no tienes más preguntas recuerda cerrar el topic, seleccionando la respuesta como "Respuesta correcta"
**Please rate the answer if this information was useful***
**Por favor si la información fue util marca esta respuesta como correcta**

View solution in original post

13 Replies 13

mohanraj_blr
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi ,

As per your statement ap got ip, just enable capwap debug on controller to check discovery request and response going out from the wlc. how is your network is designed meaning ap got wlc ip using dhcp option 43 or directly prime into the ap?.

Hello Mohan,

all APs and controller management port is in default vlan and NO DHCP option 43 is configured.

i have 69 APs just this one is not joined.

when i enter command ---- sh ap join stats detailed mac

Reason fo last AP connection Failure .....  Number of message retransmission to the AP has reached max

ITexpert
Level 3
Level 3

After entering the command  ----  sh AP join stats detailed mac-address

I got this reason : Number of message transmission to the AP has reached maximum.

Hi @ITexpert @mohanraj_blr

This AP is same model that rest go them?

Espero que la información haya sido útil y si no tienes más preguntas recuerda cerrar el topic, seleccionando la respuesta como "Respuesta correcta"

I believe so but not sure because that AP is not listed In Access points in GUI.

I dont even know how to check this info from CLI.

please advice with command ?

@Daniel Ordóñez Flores

Thanks

:)

You said that you can ping this AP, right? can you track it the MAC address and use "show cdp neighbors" to check the model on the switch?

In your WLC can you share the output "show license capacity"

The results of Show License Capacity

Max count: 70  Current count:68   remaining count:2 remaining capacity:7/75

Total APs are 69 , show license capacity only showing 68 that are joined.

We just acquire this building, and everything is unmanaged and no documentation, So give me some time to figure out the switch where this AP is connected.

Thanks

I would log into the core switch and do an arp or rarp on the AP and track down the switch its connected to from there.

Do you have any type of monitoring tools such as solarwinds, whatsupgold, etc that keeps track of all the ip addresses that flow through your environment? do you have cisco prime?

As far as where it is physically, I'd use a fluke or some other RF tracking program and walk the building until you see the signal for the AP get closer. That should give you an idea of where it may be. The "Netscout Aircheck G2" looks like a great tool to use for this as well.

@wrainwater wrote:

As far as where it is physically, I'd use a fluke or some other RF tracking program and walk the building until you see the signal for the AP get closer. That should give you an idea of where it may be. The "Netscout Aircheck G2" looks like a great tool to use for this as well. 

One can use the existing APs and "reverse" triangulation.  

Another method is to find out if the switch the AP is connected to supports TDR and then do a TDR test to determine how far is the cable run.

Hello Leo,

Can you explain more About Triangulation and TDR.

@Leo Laohoo

Thanks

First is to find where the AP is. Maybe it's connected to the wrong VLAN? Maybe it's crashed and the port needs to be rebooted?

Hi,

As per your  below output  remaining ap capacity should be 2/70, can you remove any one of the associated ap and check  not joining ap connected  and also check with not joined ap mac or ip with msg log and snmp trap logs, check in snmp trap or msg log for license related msg is flooding.

The results of Show License Capacity

Max count: 70  Current count:68   remaining count:2 remaining capacity:7/75

Total APs are 69 , show license capacity only showing 68 that are joined.

Hello Guys,

Its working now, The think it was due to IP conflict-ion , Now i see that DHCP provide diff IP and its working.  

@mohanraj_blr  But its still showing count 6\75... Total APS 69 now... Max count-70

Thanks

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card