cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 350 AP with the same SSID

robert1159
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to connect more than one AP to a wired LAN, if I make 2 access points with the same SSID I can not connect to either one.

But if I set them different I can connect with no problem.

Any ideas why?

4 Replies 4

thisisshanky
Level 11
Level 11

In a wireless network, if you want to roam smoothly from one AP to another, all APs should be configured with same SSID (if the clients are connecting to that SSID). Probably both APs are in same channel, and are they sitting next to each other ?

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus

I have two Ap working with the same SSID,but one in the channel 3 and other in the channel 6

How close/far are they? Are you using LEAP/PEAP/static wep? If so, remove that and try again. Simplify, then complicate and back it off half a turn :)

Anywho, you should be able to put a very large number of aps on the wired lan with the same ssid. You would want to survey the area and make sure that the channels of the aps do not conflict with each other. We accomplish this by using channel 1,6,11 then 1,6,11 etc. In the case of fast-roaming, you will need to investigate other technologies(WDS,EAP-Fast, etc.) and possibly h/w (WLSM) because of the time it takes to re-auth while roaming across L3 boundaries.

Actually if you had your dot11 radio config, that would help things. Include that along with your BVI config/fastethernet config..

hth

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card