cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 3650 Wireless Controller setup (2) different Company locations

IT-LDI
Level 1
Level 1

I currently have the wireless controller configured at the corporate location and users can connect wirelessly with successful connection and have access to the network vlan. I have my second company location wireless controller and agents setup in the same manner as the corporate location, accessing the vlan for data does not give them access to the network files.

Is it required to have a mobility Oracle setup?

If not, why can they not access the network files?

I do have an internal DHCP server setup on the controller at both locations.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

I have attached the switch configuration if that would help. Passwords have been removed from file.

Thanks you, 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Looking at (1) of our locations router configuration, I did find where the scope entries were and created the scopes on the new server to match. Once this was done and the setting the wireless controller to point to the DHCP server then the connection was successful.

Thank you for your assistance!

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

marce1000
VIP
VIP

>If not, why can they not access the network files

What is meant by this translated in to technical experience and or observed errors , provide a screenshot - for example ?

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

It shows they are connected to the wireless in Windows, but it's not assigning an IP address to the wireless adapter. I have the wireless dhcp in the controller setup the same way but with a different dhcp scope. The scope is only configured on the wireless controller and not on the dhcp server.

- That sounds a bit conflicting, however I advise to use an external DHCP server (not controller based).

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

OK, I set it up to connect to a DHCP wireless scope and modified the controller and agents respectively. I agree that this should work better. I will let you know the results on Tuesday when I can have someone test it out.

Thank you,

OK, I added a new scope and pointed my wireless controller to the DHCP server. I was not able to get my wireless clients to connect to the network or have an IP address assigned to them.

I have never created a DHCP scope before and modeled it after a working one except for the IP address range.

Note;

• the DHCP server does work fine for our wired clients
  • The DHCP server works for 'wireless' guests

I think the problem is with the IP address range of our network and the IP address scope that I used.

Our network is 10.100.10.0 /24

I used 10.100.11.0 for the scope. If this doesn't matter, how does it distinguish that I want to use this for the wireless connections.

I guess I could use some help in this. The server is Server2019

Thank you,

Would this work?

- Check the DHCP server's logs. Is there any activity from the WiFi clients and or network, if not the controller and or Wlan configuration must be wrong because the DHCP server is unreachable for the clients.

M.

Hello,

The DHCP server does have a guest account setup and the wireless clients are able to connect via that scope configuration.

The guest vlan is setup on the controller. I was the one that set up the wireless controller and the 8 agents.

My question is does the router need to know what ip address are being assigned to the scope to allow access to the network?

I just setup a new scope with 10.100.4.0 and have a question on access to our network.

our current ip setup is this;

10.100.10.x /24

this allows only 10.100.10.1 to 10.100.10.255

I added a scope for 10.100.4.x which is not in that network. How would this allow a 10.100.4.x access to our network if t's not within the network? Or is that what the scope does?

Thank you,

I see that is not possible to create an existing scope within the same network and it mus be in its own network. I tried creating one on a /16 network and it wouldn't let me create it in the same network.

- I find those remarks confusing. The only thing that's needed is that addresses for wireless clients provided in the DHCP scope are compatible with the corresponding Wlan/Vlan addressing scheme on the particular Intranet. Meaning for instance that the provided default gateway can be used to access the Internet and more fundamentally  that no ip address conflicts can arise on the particular Intranet.

M.

I was able to change the switch configuration that the controller was setup on and make it an agent and then made one of the agents to be the controller. I also made the new controller a license server and have the agents pointing to the new controller.

It looks like the entry for the DHCP scope needs to be added to the router configuration. I looked at it and it's not in there so I'm thinking that is the issue.

Looking at (1) of our locations router configuration, I did find where the scope entries were and created the scopes on the new server to match. Once this was done and the setting the wireless controller to point to the DHCP server then the connection was successful.

Thank you for your assistance!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card