cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 3850 Wirelless controller AP licenses

pe1egrim
Level 1
Level 1

Hello! I have Cisco 3850 Switch, i want use it as wirelless controller with 10 lightweight access points. What type of licenses i need for it? As i know i should have at least IP Base license for Cisco device. What about licenses for Access Points, which connect to WC? I should it buy licenses for they too or not? Because acording to configuration instruction, i should activate IP base license and Ap count license.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

The AP license for the 3850 is "L-LIC-CTIOS-1A" (e-license).  This is just an adder license for 1 AP.  So if you have 10 APs, then you'll need to purchase 10 x L-LIC-CTIOS-1A. 

A few gotchas that you may encounter: 

1.  The APs are 2702E.  This means the APs do not have an internal antenna.  The external antenna are optional purchase. 

2.  Depending on the firmware/IOS-XE version in the switch, the wireless controller is not supported from 16.3.X and beyond.  

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Some APs can become wireless controllers themselves and they can support between 50 to 100 APs and the AP licenses are FREE.  

What APs are you planning to use?

I going to use 10 APs - AIR-CAP2702E-R-K9 with Wirelless controller.

The AP license for the 3850 is "L-LIC-CTIOS-1A" (e-license).  This is just an adder license for 1 AP.  So if you have 10 APs, then you'll need to purchase 10 x L-LIC-CTIOS-1A. 

A few gotchas that you may encounter: 

1.  The APs are 2702E.  This means the APs do not have an internal antenna.  The external antenna are optional purchase. 

2.  Depending on the firmware/IOS-XE version in the switch, the wireless controller is not supported from 16.3.X and beyond.  

Thank you so much. This information is a really useful for me.

Thanks for taking the time to rate our posts. :)
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card