Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 5500 WLC Design Recommendation

Learnercisco
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Tech People

I have 3x WLC 5500 controllers in HA mode. WLCs are connected to CORE Switch Pair . Access point are connected to distribution switches via L2 access switch in different buildings.
I have Layer 3 in my CORE and all SVIs are defined in Distribution Switch for Access point etc. So I can not use LOCAL AP switch mode in this design. what is recommeded design that AP can coomunication with WLCs if they are not in same switches and they will communicate via Layer 3 routing. Please share cisco guides or brief the recommnded design.

thanks in advance.

2 Replies 2

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Layer 3 only?
Make sure DHCP Option 43 is enabled and routing is configured properly.
Check FW to make sure the CAPWAP ports are allowed.

"I have Layer 3 in my CORE and all SVIs are defined in Distribution Switch for Access point etc. So I can not use LOCAL AP switch mode in this design."

Still, you can use local mode AP deployment. AP only require L3 reachability to WLC management IP address, that's all. What IP range of wireless users are getting. If they are getting IP ranges defined on your distribution switch, then plugging those WLC to distribution switch (instead of core) makes more sense.

If your APs are in branch sites (across WAN), then FlexConnect mode deployment would be a better fit.

HTH

Rasika

*** Pls rate all useful responses ***

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card