Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 5508 WLC AP Global Configuration Backup Primary Controller Value

Lovleen Arora
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Can anyone throw some light on what the Back-up Primary Controller and Back-up Secondary Controller values entered within the Global Configuration menu under Wireless --> Access Points tab on the GUI screen of Cisco 5508 WLC.

Requirement:

We have about 150 APs on 5508 WLC, and all APs have the primary HA contorller value set as the home 5508 WLC itself. I need to configure a secondary controller value for all APs pointing to a secondary WLC. I want to know if I can achieve this by just adding the value within the Back-up Secondary WLC section under the global configuration tab, or do i have go into each AP and enter the secondary WLC value within each AP.

What does the global ocnfiguration does actually? Please forward any URLs or docs for reference.

Thanks in Advance.

Lovleen

4 Replies 4

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

IF there is no settings on each of the AP then the Global settings will take precedence.  

Have you read of this:  High Availability (SSO) Deployment Guide

HA SSO is far better than Backup-Controller settings because the APs will react faster (sub-second vs 22 seconds) and swing to the redundant controller.  HA SSO also synchronize the settings so you don't need to apply the same settings (except allowed VLANs) on the other controller. 

I am going to have two HA pairs. Can I set one pair as the primary controller, and the second pair as the secondary backup controller in the event of an HA pair failure?

Yes, it's possible.

Yes, it supports as primary and secondary as one pair, no 2 primary controllers or no 2 secondary controllers can be paired as HA, you can consider N+1 also.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/technology/hi_avail/N1_High_Availability_Deployment_Guide/N1_HA_Overview.html

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card