Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 7920 Wireless

Edrick Smith
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I've tried setting up my Cisco 7920 on my wireless network. However it keeps sitting at Authenticating with AP. I'm using the configuration utility and running it through the wizard but have had no luck. I'd like to at least get it to work with WAP instead of WEP. Does anyone have experience with this who can provide step by step directions? I've looked at directions and read the manual but no luck.

Thanks!

21 Replies 21

George Stefanick
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Of course.. Can you provide more information..

What security protocol do you plan to use

What type of wireless network do you have

for starters ...

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

Hi as mentioned id like to use WPA. I'm using an Actiontech Router supplied by verizon which supports B/G. I've run through the wizard selected WPA ASCII and entered my password then selected AKS for encryption. Left WEP to none.

So I can't seem to get any mixture to work

Sent from my iPhone

Actually your original e-mail states WAP, I assumed you meant WPA, but wanted to double check.  What is AKS?  WPA uses TKIP for encryption... Also do you have a Call Manager?

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

Edrick Smith
Level 1
Level 1

Sorry about that, mistyped it in my first post. Also meant to say AKM I was responding late at night. When I select WPA it requires me to select AKM. Here's a screen shot of the config once I run through the wizard.

AKM stands for automatic key management.... anyway, 7920 is a B only phone and doesn't support G rates. so make sure you have B rates enabled on your router.

Make sure you use on the router wpa1+tkip+preshared key that you have to enter on your phone as well.

let us know how it goes.

I've ensured that the wireless access point is supporting B and checked that it is only using WPA and not WPA2 along with TKIP. However it still just sits there at authenticating.

Edrick Smith
Level 1
Level 1

Double Post

things look ok.

can you test with an open ssid without encryption to see if it will work?

As far as I can tell the issue happens on an open network too. I'll have to double check. We have two phones on two different networks with the same issue so I feel like we're missing something easy.

Sent from my iPhone

Yeah let's double check that just to make sure that this is not due to some inter-op thing between the phone and the ap when using wpa. Let's go with a flat open auth no encryption to make sure that other things like dhcp and skinny are working fine as well.

Edrick Smith
Level 1
Level 1

Still no luck. We've tried two phones on 4 routers. DLink, Actiontec, Linksys, and another Linksys. So either for some reason neither of the phones work or we're missing a really simple option.

migilles
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

What firmware is on the 7920?

WPA-PSK was not supported initially.

It was added with version 2.0 back around 2005.

WPA2-PSK is not supported so ensure that WPA-PSK v1 using TKIP is enabled in the AP.

Set the 7920 for AKM mode then set the pre-shared key.

Advise to load 3.02 on the 7920.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

It's running 3.0.2 the newest from the Cisco Site. I've ensured that WPAv1 was setup and I ensured that WEP didn't work also, along with no security. No matter what settings I put in and what settings the router is configured with even after a factory reset the phones still didn't connect (factory reset of the router and phone). So we're giving up and returning them end of this week.

migilles
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I would start at ground zero with open authentication and no encryption then.

Aldo do you know which model phone you have? We offered a model for Americas, Europe, Japan and Australia/New Zealand.

Again it is the 7920 and not 7921 or 7925 correct?

Fyi, the 7920s are no longer supported by Cisco.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card