Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 8510 redundancy in different data center

sin
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I have a costumor that has set up two 8510 in AP SSO mode using version 7.4 between two data centres.

The redundancy port is connected using a flat vlan spanning the two centers. I know that this is not recommended, but this is how it done.

Now reading the deployment guide for version 7.5 (and 7.6) the RP connection is now longer needed.

I have read the configuration steps in the two types of setup; same and different data centers.

As I see it the only difference there there is no connection between the RP ports.

So now my question. To change the setup to the recommended design is all I have to do is remove the back-to-back fiber link between the controllers ?

Regards Rasmus

6 Replies 6

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Can you post a link to where you saw that it is not required. The v7.6 guide shows it's still required.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/7-6/configuration/guide/b_cg76/b_cg76_chapter_01101111.html

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/technotes/7-5/High_Availability_DG.html#pgfId-83028

I might read this wrong. Does this just means that the RP port can be connected over a layer 2 trunk but that the RP port should still be used?

/Rasmus

Yes it still needs to be used.

-Scott

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Here is the thing with AP SSO
And having the WLC's in different locations.

If your spanning all the vlan's over, I guess that would be fine, but is that a good design? If the primary ails and the HA takes over, well your interfaces have to match what's on the primary. It really comes down to design. N+1 would be better if your not spanning subnets. AP SSO is fine if you keep the WLC's in the same location. Always look at what will happen during a failover and how will clients access the network.

-Scott

I agree a 100% I'm trying to get permission to implement a routed design with different subnets in the two DC.

But for now I just need to understand the AP SSO solution.

/Rasmus

If your going with a routed design... AP SSO syncs the configuration from the primary to the HA... So the interface IP address will stay consistent and that's why in AP SSO it's best to keep the WLC's together. N+1 is what you need to do.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/technology/hi_avail/N1_High_Availability_Deployment_Guide.pdf

-Scott
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: