Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 8540 WLC multi-tenancy design and configuration

TrickTrick
Level 3
Level 3

Hello everyone,

I would like to be guided on how can I design and setup a Wireless network architecture that should support Multi-tenancy using Cisco WLC 8540, is there any design guide and configuration guide I can follow that explain those aspects ?
my goal to test this is to setup 4 APs, each 2 of them will be dedicated to a given client for example, I want to respect the design aspect ( addressing scheme etc) and configuration guidelines 

Any documents / guides are appreciated 
thanks in advance 

6 Replies 6

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@TrickTrick wrote:

each 2 of them will be dedicated to a given client 

I presume each client will be broadcasting their own SSID?  

If this is the case, the APs can be put in a specific AP Group where each AP Group will broadcast specific SSID.

Thanks for your answer, I see your point, and I think that I need a more detailed solution explaining the design aspect and configuration aspects, so you think that, for example, each client will have its own WLAN, which includes an SSID ( can I have multiple ones ?) and that WLAN is associated to an AP group, right ? each AP should include the public IP adresse of the controller so once they have an internet access, they can contact the WLC

is this logic correct ?

8540, running 8.5.X.X and earlier, support up to 512 SSID and 512 AP Groups (8540 running 8.8.X.X and later will support up to 4000 SSID).
The controller will need to trunk all the VLANs and all of the subnets for each tenant. Each dynamic interface will have it's own VLAN, subnet and, maybe, DHCP scope.

Did you get any design regarding the multi-tenancy design solution?

If not let's make one blueprint design for Cisco:)

A.Amor

Your network partner in Luxembourg
http://www.itnet.lu

It would be interesting to understand what you are thinking as a blueprint.  Seems like every install would be different with different requirements.  The design would have to fit within the specifications of the equipment your choose like what Leo has stated.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Hi Scott,

I totally agree with you but we can blueprint:

• 1 VLAN or multiple per customer
  • DHCP activation per VLAN
  • Traffic shaping per customer
  • Disable inter VLAN traffic per customer
  • Firewalling and security policies per customer
  • SSID activation per AP assigned to the customer via RF groups
  • Any other suggestions???

Looking forward to your input. Happy Easter to you.

Your network partner in Luxembourg
http://www.itnet.lu
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card