Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco AIR-CAP3602i-N-K9 no MAC address

benjamin44
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

We have just rolled out the 3600 AP's in a bunch of sites and we're seeing that some are not getting layer 2.

They are all patched to a variety of cisco switches (6500's, 3750's 4500's).

We're seeing a blinking green light on the AP itself and have tried restarting the port, and also see the port drawing power. But no mac address is presented to the switch. I have been going over the cisco documentation regarding these AP's and apparently the blinking green light indicates that the AP itself cannot conttact our Wifi controller, but to me that does not add up since AP itself isnt even have layer 2 connectivity.

We were expecting some DOA's (order was 800 APs) but the amount we're seeing with this issue seems to be too many to be DOA.

Has anyone got any ideas as to why the AP's are displaying this behaviour?

4 Replies 4

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The issue can be because the AP's will continue to reboot.  You need to look at the documentation regarding AP join process.  So either use option 43, dns or place the aps on the same subnet as the management of the WLC.  Once the ap joins, you should see the mac address.  Are the ap's getting dhcp?  Post the output from the console, if you are having issue.

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

DHCP option 43 is configured for the AP vlan, but the APs in question aren't getting to that stage because there simply isn't any layer 2 connectivity.

We have APs that are working on the same switches in the same vlan and there is sufficient power.

To give you a better idea of our environment, we usually have 8 or so APs per floor and in some instances 1 or 2 of those APs will not display a mac.

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

So if you swap AP's around, does the problem follow the AP. I ran into issues but was due to cabling and or bad patch cables. The ap would power up, but no Mac or the power would show IEEE.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott

I had a install at a school with 50 AP's and only 19 came up fine. They had a total of 600 + APs, so you know the low voltage company had a fun time fixing everything. Another issue was ceiling dust in the Ethernet port and or the biscuit jack. So they did have to bring around some canned air.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card