cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

cisco AIR-SAP3702I-A-K9 , max users and bandwidth degradation?

Hi, 

Sorry if somone else asked this question before, but I was unable to find the answer or post. 

So here is the intro:

Symthom:

I installed and config with a basic AP 1240G running at the office room to provide wireless connectivy, but users always complain its sooooooo slow.

Note: I went to check the PCs users and a simple web site with a few pics or even to test the speed connection, it is so slow

Action:

I changed the AP with a new one, AIR-SAP3702I-A-K9, I just basically copied and pasted the config applying the proper measures like changing the fastethernet to gigaethernet, etc.

it improved a bit but I was monitoring the AP and there are 3 SSIDs. each SSID had like around 6 users making a total of 18 users.

Results:

Its still giving the same resuts, suddenly it gets so slow but sometimes its performing per client well, but relatively slow always.

******************************************************************************************************************************************************

Additional Info and troubleshooting steps taken:

We have 100 Mbps, so its quite huge amount of bandwith and we even use at a peak level of the day around 35Mbps. I went to test my local PC, changed from vlan and use the same vlan as the SSID to make a speed connection test and I got around 98 Mbps and the ping results is 2ms.

So this tells me that its not the internet connection as I download 2Gb file size in a couple of minutes wired using the same subnet, but in wireless, its says it will take 2 hours to download a 200Mb file size.

I know its a shared medium, but I need more information as Im not expert in configuring nor giving a good explanation as to why the wireless is sooooo slow.

I went always to conflict with my mates since they are saying that its the access point, and I should try only on PC wireless on the AP and check the results of the bandwith.

They are saying I should get 100 Mbps

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Help in the following:

Who can tell me whats the max number of clientes per this type of device (3700 AP series) or recommended?

What type of measures can I take to reduce this behavior?

Who can tell me whats the max bandwith usage for this AP?

Are they correct, like if the AP with one users connected, should get the same huge amount of bandwith or would be less?

Is that true that if one user is streaming and others want to suft normally, it will reduce the bandwith?

Whats the max bandwith an AP can use or hold per client taking into consideration that we have 100Mbps?

location: its just a simple room with the AP indoor, nothing special.

I included the basic config of the AP. Any additional info, please let me know,

here is the test I made using the local wired in the same subnet as the SSID and I get well bandwith.

Thank you so much!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Sandeep Choudhary
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Alex,

1. First of all, as a rule of thumb you can use 25 Users to a single AP.()If there is normal traffic like email...).

Start with troubleshooting:

you are using wpa version 1 for all ssids. You must use WPA version 2 to get 802.11n rates(Higher).

So I am modifying your config, please check.

Regards

Don't forget to rate helpful posts

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Sandeep Choudhary
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Alex,

1. First of all, as a rule of thumb you can use 25 Users to a single AP.()If there is normal traffic like email...).

Start with troubleshooting:

you are using wpa version 1 for all ssids. You must use WPA version 2 to get 802.11n rates(Higher).

So I am modifying your config, please check.

Regards

Don't forget to rate helpful posts

Thank you, I might see a slight difference but when I tested my laptop, and it was the only PC connected to the AP, I could only reach 30 Mbps but not the 100 Mbps aprox. 

Well, so far no one has complained, but yeah thanks, I also want to know why I dont get the real bandiwth on the AP as I have 100 Mbps. 

Thanks

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card