cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

cisco aironet 1600 series

francis08
Level 1
Level 1

we bought cisco aironet 1600 series AP. we can logon using console but we cnt get into the global configuration mode. i dont have a power cable and since it only has one ethernet port um unable to confogure it using a web interface. and the swith that i am connecting it to does not support POE. what can i do?

5 Replies 5

LJ Gabrillo
Level 5
Level 5

Hi Francis

1. Can you confirm what type of AP is that in? LWAPP or Autonomous?
     A. LWAPP Requires a WLC for it to work

TIP: LWAPP APs have a MAC Address hostname

B. Autonomous is well, standalone

TIP: Hostname is "ap"

-Conversion is simple though, just requires you to upload another IOS :)

With regards to the question above, what topology are you observing? I am guessing this AP will be in standalone mode

and I am guessing that it is still in LWAPP Mode

2. Default Credentials are:

US: Cisco

PW/E-PW: Cisco

-Capital "C"

Could you give me the steps to convert to Autonomous ?, the link above doesn't work 

THANK YOU

Sandeep Choudhary
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

If you can logon to ap but can not go int to global config mode means its a lightweight AP.

Use this command and then try to go in global config mode.

debug capwap console cli 

Hope it helps.

Regards

dont forget to rate helpful posts

Dont mean to burst on you but that command is for troubleshooting purposes only. it still wont make the AP work i.e., working SSID/broadcast

Francis, you may be able to configure your AP here, but you still need a WLC(Controller) for LWAPP AP to be usable.

If your AP is in LWAPP mode, convert it to standalone mode - This can be downloaded in cisco. just needs your CCO ID

For conversion steps: You can follow these steps
Here's a cisco video tutorial on how to do it: LINK

The command that  Sandeep gave will be used here too :)

gohussai
Level 4
Level 4

Well after going to your query I must suggest you that you refresh/upgrade you Firmware.

Besure that if you are using LAP then firmware is accordingly and if its Autonomous AP then firmware is different. You can get it from Cisco website.

Furhter more normal scenario is that for LAP you can but you dont need console access as it works with WLC and you can manage it from WLC.

FOr Autonomous you can config via console or GUI.

Now for your question as you mentioned you dont have power cabel if you dont have power cabel then you need PoE if your switch dont support PoE then I think you need other switch who support OR use power cabel, because for console access you need power what ever the AP is LAP or autonomous.

So bottom line is that you give power to the AP via power cabel or Ethernet and access it via console if its not LAP or you need CLI access only to do things manually. then from there you can go into global config mode as the fireware is upgraded previously so you dont have any issue.

Hope this answer your question.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card