Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Aironet 1700 Series Access Point

socheatra
Level 1
Level 1

Hello...

The same time, How many clients that can access to Cisco Aironet 1702i (AIR-CAP1702I-A-K9) ?

8 Replies 8

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Number of clients on an AP has been asked many times on the forum. If your looking at max that AP can handle, it like 256.  But this number doesn't mean you can actually have that amount and good user experience. 

If you look around in the forum, you will see a number of 25-30 per AP.  The number lessens if you have many voice devices and or high bandwidth requirements.  This number increases if the wireless activities are just email, web and light work. 

I don't think you will get a good answer for your environment, but you should have a good starting point to work off of. 

-Scott 

*** Please rate helpful posts *** 

-Scott

Hello

Could I ask you a question?

If I have the client around 250 users which using just only internet access 100 Mbps are best effort type.
How many AP that I could use for this solution ?

I plan use WLC 2504 and AP 2702I for this.
Finally , Could share how to calculate to me.
Thanks a lot 

A rule of thumb is around 25-30 clients per AP.  This changes depending on what the users are doing.  If you have users that are only using email and internet, you can have more, possibly around 40.  If users will be streaming video or uploading/download files, the 25-30 is a good number.  How to calculate this is tricky because every user has a different experience he/she wants.  For example, if a webpage takes 5-10 seconds to load, to me the wifi is slow, but others might be okay with it.  So with 250, I would say 5 minimum.  Remember wifi is a shared medium, half duplex.  So if you say a user is connected at 300mbps, that meand theoretically that device will max half of that, 150mbps.  Then every other device on that AP, you would divide that number in half.  So again it is expectations.  We have sites that users will complain about slow wireless due to what they do on the network, other sites, we can have much more clients per ap because they only really check email and web.

What I have done is actually sit down in events and associate to various AP's with different amount of client associations to get a feel when I think the experience starts to go down.  This gives me a good baseline of that environment or user type.

-Scott

-Scott

Hello Mr. Scott

Thank you for your answer.

May I ask a another one.

Why 1702I and 2702 it equal support client ?

As I read in cisco data sheet, it differ about client count 128 and 200 maybe.
Could you explain me about this again ?

Thanks a lot.

The client count in the data sheet is max that the AP can associate, doesn't mean that is the number to use.  The 2702 is a higher model than the 1702, so it comes down to what you want. We run all 3702's, but cost isn't a question and we also utilize the modular slot.  I'm not a big fan of the 1702's unless your environment is small or you don't have many clients per AP.  There are some large enterprise that do use the 1702's, because it works for them.

-Scott 

-Scott

Now, I think it can reduce AP number.
Ex, assume that I use 1702I for two but I can use 2702I just one into the same area some think like that.

I wouldn't look at it that way. You need density to ensure you don't overload the AP.  If your users are doing any heavy sort of traffic, then use the 2702.  AP count is based on coverage and density. 

-Scott 

-Scott

Hello Mr.Scott

I would like to consult you about this.

I attached my solution to choose AP's model.

I will use 1702 Is it ok ?

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card