cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Aironet 3702e Current Rate (Mb/sec)

izakoosthuizen
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We have 2 x Cisco Aironet 3702e Access Points in a bridge configuration, when I check the Current Rate (Mb/sec) I get items like below, what do these mean in terms on Mb/s?

m4t2
m6t2
m6b2
m3b2
m10b2
m1t2

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

That is correct. Data rates is determined by the AP and client, but in your case between both AP's.  The negotiated data rates is determined by SNR and Signal Strength (RSSI). So the higher the RSSI and the SNR, the higher the data rate and the higher the possible throughput.  For bridge deployments, what also affects the negotiated data rates is the distance and possible other interference or other bridge links that might be in the path.  Wireless is half duplex so if you are seeing MCS rate of X, then divide that possible throughput into half and that would be your theoretical max throughput for that link. 

-Scott 

*** Please rate helpful posts *** 

-Scott

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You can reference this link for the MCS:

http://www.wlanpros.com/mcs-index-802-11n-802-11ac-chart-3/

I don't know what the "t" or "b" is but the two maybe is spatial streams. Have you tried to run an iperf test between the links on wired connection to grab a baseline?  That might help also to see what you "are" getting.

-Scott 

-Scott

Hi Scott,

Thank you for the reply, I have already seen that page but do not understand how to convert the m4t2 into a column and row on the sheet they have provided.

I used windows to copy some files over the link and was getting on average 100KB/s.

The Signal Strength was at -63 at this time, it previous had a on a lower Signal Strength and reported 11Mb/s on the Cisco AP. I would assume that as the Signal Strength increase I should be getting higher rates.

That is correct. Data rates is determined by the AP and client, but in your case between both AP's.  The negotiated data rates is determined by SNR and Signal Strength (RSSI). So the higher the RSSI and the SNR, the higher the data rate and the higher the possible throughput.  For bridge deployments, what also affects the negotiated data rates is the distance and possible other interference or other bridge links that might be in the path.  Wireless is half duplex so if you are seeing MCS rate of X, then divide that possible throughput into half and that would be your theoretical max throughput for that link. 

-Scott 

-Scott

Hi Scott,

Thank you.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card